F'k me gently wiv the blunt end of a rag man's bugel !

Sponsored Links
Any reason for posting a link is more than 18 months old, Pip? Notwithstanding, Hanningfield, is just another venal, snout-in-the-trough opportunist who should have been entirely stripped of his peerage prior to being banged-up. It would appear he is standing outside his white 'austerity' front-door to elicit sympathy - unequivocal fail.

Are there still any people in this country with some integrity?
'Noble' lords?
More like Benefits Street!

Those nice Labours screwed up House of Lords reform. Now each time a new governemnt comes in, they will appoint some new lords, to make sure their mates dominate. Expect 2,000 members in the near future. I'm putting my name down.

I'm not that surprised, people will exploit loop holes and the like as and when they can. Politicians are professional liars anyway. A few years ago I shared an office with two Christian chaps. Whilst I don't like the literalism of one, they did give one very good piece of advice. Behave in the way that you want the world to be. So if you don't want people to cheat the state, don't do it yourself. If only we had a better class of people in the Lords. :)

Sponsored Links
Those nice Labours screwed up House of Lords reform. Now each time a new governemnt comes in, they will appoint some new lords, to make sure their mates dominate. Expect 2,000 members in the near future. I'm putting my name down.
You're quite right.

I've said before that I strongly believe that the 'upper house' (would no longer be called the House of Lords) should be elected and, in my opinion, that election should be by Proportional Representation. I don't think there is any benefit at all by our being ruled by hereditary peers, bishops and millionaires who have paid backhanders to their favourite party.

The Commons would continue to provide locally elected representatives of the people, whereas the Upper House would be more representative of the actual number of votes received.

At the same time, I feel that both houses are overpopulated, not just the Lords. I'm not sure that we need 650 MPs in the Commons (and a damned sight more in the Lords), in order to represent the people of this country. Yes, I realise that each constituency would need to be larger, but that needn't be a problem.

I suppose it's all academic anyway. Our actual rulers are to be found in Brussels. :(

Any reason for posting a link is more than 18 months old, Pip? Notwithstanding, Hanningfield, is just another venal, snout-in-the-trough opportunist who should have been entirely stripped of his peerage prior to being banged-up. It would appear he is standing outside his white 'austerity' front-door to elicit sympathy - unequivocal fail.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/return-leeching-lord-hanningfield---5756982
I think his suspension from the House of welfare ended late spring this year (2015)...

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back