Flaking artex ceiling above shower back to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post.

I had a search on the forum regarding flaking artex above a shower, and taken note regarding using the extractor fan and open window more often, but can't see any posts regarding what to do if back to plaster.

The paint coat has come away as has the actual artex layer leaving an area of exposed plasterboard.

I have yet to see if the plasterboard is damaged, but if not, would this be a case of re artexing and then painting?

Any ideas of the whole process and what materials and make of to use would be a great help.

Thanks in anticipation for any help you can give.

Rich

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but I have had experience of repairing damage to an Artex ceiling. Is it definitely Artex, or a textured paint?

Before you do anything, make sure that the problem which has caused the Artex to peel off in the first place has been rectified. If its long term damage from condensation, then judging by your post you know what you should be doing.

As long as the plasterboard in and around the damaged area is sound and dry, you should be able to reapply the textured coating and manage a decent repair. I purchased a tub of ready mixed Artex repair from my local DIY shop, rather than buying the powder and mixing it from scratch, and I achieved a passable match to an existing stipple pattern, eventually.

There's plenty of information online about ways in which to achieve the different textures. Practice the technique for duplicating your existing surface on a piece of old plasterboard or hardboard, and when you're confident enough that you can manage a decent match, go for it.

Very basic Artex repair product, advice and video here:

http://www.artexeasifix.co.uk/howdoi/how-to-repair-texture

It's probably easier and cheaper to buy something like this for a one off DIY repair than it would be to buy the various tools (depending on your existing pattern) and powder separately but I can't be sure as I don't know the price of it.

Elsewhere on this forum I posted a question about repairing hairline plasterboard cracks in an Artex ceiling, and it never occured to me that the answer might simply be to use the same material to fill the cracks (although to be fair, someone did suggest using textured paint).

Inspired by your video, I'll give that a go.

Sponsored Links
Elsewhere on this forum I posted a question about repairing hairline plasterboard cracks in an Artex ceiling, and it never occured to me that the answer might simply be to use the same material to fill the cracks (although to be fair, someone did suggest using textured paint).

Inspired by your video, I'll give that a go.

Yes, I saw that thread and was going to suggest using Artex mixed to a caulk consistency and worked into the cracks with a dampened sponge. However, when I read that the cracks were in the plasterboard it suggested that there may be some movement in the boards, which would really mean they need to be secured tightly before filling, otherwise no product will work.
If the boards are secure then, by all means, give the Artex a go. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back