Flat Bay Roof Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom flat bay roof is fine, apart from the large gap between the rear of it and the main slate roof. The house design has a brick height gap between the flat roof and main house roof.

The front of the house is East facing and, thank goodness, the main winds and rain blow in from the West. When the wind is occasionally from the East, the rain blows into the gap and then the bay ceiling starts to leak.

The flat roof material is either felt or lead. I can only view it and the gap from over the road. There is guttering around the edge.

Is there a reason for the design to be this way, i.e letting the roof space breath? The adjoining semi has the same design.

If this gap is not needed, what would be the best way to create a waterproof seal over this gap?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
GeoffH, Hi.

Seems an odd design, in that it is common practice to install an up stand flashing to protect the vulnerable area, albeit small from driving rain and drips from the slate on the main roof, if there is no rain water gutter over the area of the bay .

Another odd thing is that the flat roof whether Lead or Felt generally have an up stand flashing in the same material as the flat roof or preferably lead simply to protect the up-stand from admitting rain water into the property. This raises a question? are you sure that there is indeed no up-stand? reason for the question is that even from across the road you simply can not see this now leaking junction.

As an aside under insurance damage claims any flat felt roof over about 10 / 12 years [no matter how long a so called flat roof guarantee issued by the installer is concerned] would result in the claim being declined, the thought process behind that is that a flat felt roof is only good for a maximum of 12 years, as far as insurers are concerned, after that time they would claim that the reason for the flat roof leak is long term wear and tear.

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for replying.

There is guttering on the main roof above the bay, but when the wind is in the wrong direction I occasionally get a wet ceiling.

If it does not get any worse, I will wait till spring and get my ladder out and take a look.
Or maybe, as I am no longer a spring chicken, I might try to find a reliable roofer and ask him about up-stand flashing.

It's nice to know the correct terminology; thanks for that. My expertise is computers/electronics.

Thanks again.

Geoff

Do you know anyone with a drone?

May sound like a daft question but more and more people have them. It'd be a lot safer for you.

Infact we use one for the odd roof inspection/survey and the film gives the customer a better understanding of quotes and the work needed.

Sponsored Links
I can just see it now working in peace on a roof will be a thing of the past, as people start buying these drones and watching you work. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back