Flat Cat 6 Vs Thick Cat 5 Cable? Which One?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Im looking at wiring options for LAN in the build I am doing.

I have been looking at flat Cat cables and i found this http://www.tradexguru.com/networkin...-super-flat-data-cable-transmission-rj45.html flat cable which is a CAT 6.

Because its flat (i want to place it under carpets and floorboards)
Do you think there will be any more data loss than a normal 'thick' style cat 5 or cat 6?
Im always a bit sceptical on flat cables, although I have never tried or tested them.
Has anyone else got experience in using them?
Obviously once the cables are installed, no one will want to get them out again or modify them so I want to future proof the network for a good few years also.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
To be Cat 6 cable it has to meet industry standards and therefore it makes no difference if its construction is flat or round.

I use flat Cat 6 cables in trunking above the skirting board from my Ethernet switch to my laptop, TV, PS3 & PVR. Choosing flat cable meant I could use low profile trunking.

Im looking at wiring options for LAN in the build I am doing.
Because its flat (i want to place it under carpets and floorboards)
If this is a build then don't plan on bodges like putting cables under carpets. It's not allowed for mains cables for good reason, and you really shouldn't be doing it with data cable unless it really is the last resort.

Secondly, the cable you link to is a patch cord. Ideally, for fixed cabling (you did say this is a build) you install fixed cabling (non stranded) terminated to sockets into which you plug short patch leads to the equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back