Flat felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a felt roof that needs replacing I cant afford to pay someone. I want to try to do it myself, i've done a lot of DIY and would say im pretty capable I just dont know where to start.I'd like some advice please whether to do it myself or not. If it is posible to do it where do i start.Are there any good book sor website that could help me.thanks

Sponsored Links
the problem with diying any roof is speed. you may be able to take all the advice on board, and even carry it out. but do you think you can strip and re-felt a roof quickly enough before everything underneath gets wet.
im not trying to be patronizing, is it a garage or out building with no electrics below?

If your gonna do it yourself I'd recommend going for rubber sheeting instead of felt, its better than felt and easier to fit. www.rubberfix.co.uk (they do supply only, and send you an instructional dvd with your order) piece of **** honest, and no I don't work for them I've seen the dvd though and I'm gonna do mine soon.

noseall said:
the problem with diying any roof is speed. you may be able to take all the advice on board, and even carry it out. but do you think you can strip and re-felt a roof quickly enough before everything underneath gets wet.
im not trying to be patronizing, is it a garage or out building with no electrics below?

Yes its a garage roof but it has electrics in it. any idea how much it cud all cost? im going on the roof tomorrow to have a better look. will let u know more then if u dont mind me asking u about it

Sponsored Links
stric said:
If your gonna do it yourself I'd recommend going for rubber sheeting instead of felt, its better than felt and easier to fit. www.rubberfix.co.uk (they do supply only, and send you an instructional dvd with your order) piece of **** honest, and no I don't work for them I've seen the dvd though and I'm gonna do mine soon.

Hi ive had a look at the website thanks, it looks good, is the DVD easy to follow? does it explian what the do when u join it to the wall of the house, im worried about leaks. sorry i must sound really thick. ive never done a roofing job before but nothing beats me.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you know what type of board the felt is on? eg: chipboard, plywood etc

Does the roof have a reasonable fall for the rain etc?

If you give us some idea what you can afford to spend on it, maybe we have the solution!

Trust me, its easy, the dvd explains it all, If you ring or e-mail them and be really nice they will probably send you the dvd first.

stric said:
Trust me, its easy, the dvd explains it all, If you ring or e-mail them and be really nice they will probably send you the dvd first.

Thank s for your help, i got on thr roof today and had a good look and im sure i can tackle it.I'll give them a ring and get DVD then do the job in summer, plan it over a few days of sunshine. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back