Flat Modifications - Help Needed Please

Sorry for resurrecting this... Just wanted to know if anyone knows of a "folding" fire door?

Can't be 100%, but have never come across folding fire doors and doubt they are available.

It's not just the doors themselves which have to be fire-resistant, but the frames and seals. To be an FD30, a door needs intumescent strips, and may also need smoke seals. I suspect it doubtful that seals would work effectively with a folding door.

As regards your internal layout, you would normally have two options;

Either 1. keep a protected entrance hall, which is an enclosure where all the walls are 30 minutes fire-rsistant, and doors at least FD20 - though these may not be available now - but self-closers need not be fitted

or 2. plan the flat so that no point is further than 9m to the flat entrance and have the kitchen remote from the entrance (it doesn't seem to be in your case).

In general, fire regs can often be difficult to interpret, every situation is different and many inspectors and fire experts will come to different conclusions. If you are not happy with what your BCO says, get him to explain, with the Approved Document B before him, why he has come to his decision.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony! That was really informative, but what I don't get is how does the concept of an "open plan" kitchen work if there are so many regulations etc? My previous flat was had an open plan kitchen without any doors between the entrance & the living room (which had the open plan kitchen)... Although that was in an old Victorian building...

Hey guys,

I went down to the tower hamlets building control office & they told me that proposal 3 wont be a problem, but I still need to submit an official application/request. I will be doing this soon, but wanted to ask if you know of any ways that I can tip the scales in my favor? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

One more question - My proposal implies the removal of the fire door from the hallway to the kitchen & the relocation of the fire door from the hallway to the living room to a few feet back (as per the plan in one of my previous posts). How can I determine whether the latter is in fact a fire door? The building was built sometime in the 1990's & its a solid wooden door.

Cheers,
Ducky[/b]

FWIW, I saw a folding fire door on a site yesterday. I don't have the spec., which is a shame because it was really discreet, but Wickes do one, so they can't be too hard to track down... http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wobu...e-Grained-Moulded-6-Panel-1981x762mm/p/200616

Also, in my experience, Building Control Officers can be a little more relaxed on this one than perhaps they used to be - as long as wired in smoke alarms are provided - but best to get the nod from the Building Control Officer/Approved Inspector.

Sponsored Links
Hey guys,

I went down to the tower hamlets building control office & they told me that proposal 3 wont be a problem, but I still need to submit an official application/request. I will be doing this soon, but wanted to ask if you know of any ways that I can tip the scales in my favor? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

One more question - My proposal implies the removal of the fire door from the hallway to the kitchen & the relocation of the fire door from the hallway to the living room to a few feet back (as per the plan in one of my previous posts). How can I determine whether the latter is in fact a fire door? The building was built sometime in the 1990's & its a solid wooden door.

Cheers,
Ducky[/b]

the thickness of the door is a give away sometimes (44mm), and it may be written on the top of the door, alternatively the door seals and overhead closure may give it away

o and with your new layout, you may need to alter your alarm system, EG replace the smoke detector heads in the hallway/living room to a heat detector to avoid going off when you burn toast!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back