Flat roof felt install review

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We recently had a dormer loft conversion carried out, and we're concerned on the way the felt was applied, especially around the edges where it meets the gutter. We are able to tell due to our neighbour also has one. So we've taken pictures with texts and arrows that show our concerns and we've also taken pictures of the neighbour's dormer felting so you can see the difference. Can you please advise us if our concerns hold any weight, and if so, what are the disadvantages associated to them if any?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
I'm not a felt roof expert but some of those finished pictures do look a bit cack so I'll let the experts give you their version.

But before they do, did you have like 12 quotes and went for the cheapest one? Be truthful. ;)

...did you have like 12 quotes and went for the cheapest one? Be truthful. ;)

We had two quotes, one associated to my relative, which was cheaper by £2000, and the other referred to us by our neighbour who was doing theirs at the same time. We went with the other due to their company being affiliated with various professional bodies. Hence I went with the most expensive one :)

OP,
pic 4. shows the roof tight to a chimney stack - this will cause difficulties for any maintenance to stack, flashings or roof edge. The stack flaunching shows vegetation growing.

The roof cover is obviously rubbish - was this sub-contract "roofers" or the builder's work? If the builder did this roof or passed, it then what is the rest of the dormer loft conversion build condition like?

Is there even an adequate fall on the roof?

Dont release any monies. If the "roofer" has taken the money and their scaff then its doubtful you will see your money again.You need an independent roofing expert survey if you want to proceed further.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. If you're referring to pic 4 where it states no creases, that's our neighbour's one. And yes, I've booked a roofing surey for tomorrow.

Yeah, i see that now - but whatever, that proximity is going to cause future difficulties for someone.

When you get the results of your survey perhaps you will post them on here (without identifying details) - others in your position will be following this thread.

It was a balance between that or a smaller loft room.

Yes will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back