Flat roof fire rating hell....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on a problem I don't know how to resolve.

We had a kitchen extension three years ago: an existing 'galley kitchen' one storey extension was expanded with a garden room added and a new much bigger roof. We're now trying to sell the house but it appears we never get building regs final sign off because the building inspector from the district council didn't see any proof of "fire designation rating of flat roofing felt".
We can't find any paperwork from the roofer - we may have thrown it out, not understanding that we'd need it. I've tried to track down the original roofer to get him to provide the evidence, but unfortunately he has not only retired and emigrated but is currently in a foreign prison after a bar fight that turned nasty...! So we're not going to get any help from him. What I have discovered is his name and the roofing supplies store he bought all his kit from.

The neighbour in the other half of our semi-detatched house had the same kitchen extension at the same time and we met in the middle with a party wall. She had a different roofer, and her side has been given building regs. Looks exactly the same as ours...!

At the moment these seem to be my options for getting this fixed:

1) If I can identify the manufacturer of the roofing felt I can send them a sample and ask them to identify it. To do so I'll need to peel some off (and fix back afterwards) and trying to identify the manufacturer's name printed or embossed underneath.

2) I could approach the supplies shop he used and ask them to check their account during the period he worked on the roof and provide proof of what he purchased. Not sure how much weight this will hold with building regs people as it doesn't actually prove that's what he used for our roof.

3) Get the entire roof (36 sq m) done again :-O This will be a few thousand quid, and all for the lack of a piece of paper!

Can anyone advise - are there any alternatives, or something I'm missing?

Yours in desperation,

Steve

Sponsored Links
If you know the product that was used? Then get the product data sheet for this, then send that to the building controls as the product that was used. If an inspector then needs to visit and you can confirm that this is the same product as your neighbour, hopefully with neighbours proof of purchase/installation, you may have a chance of getting some sense made of it all.

Look for a felt that is AA, AB or AC rated, that looks something like the felt you have. Print off the technical sheet, give it to the BCO.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for replies! I have resolved this by getting roofers in to add a new layer of bitumen and chippings (spar or limestone etc), which is enough to meet fire retardency regs. There was nothing else for it: I had no paperwork and couldn't even identify the manufacturer of the felt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back