Flat roof leak, dormer style house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a small stain on the ceiling in the spare bedroom so I had a look in the loft and could see that the joists above the room were damp with water. Pulled the insulation out and it was fairly wet in a few areas. Can't get right in obviously so hard to tell where it is coming from.

The roof was replaced just over 5 years ago by the guy who has recently changed my front dormer e popped over and found a small leak on the roof which he patched up free of charge. This was on Monday.

Wanted to give things chance to dry to have a look and see if the problem is fixed so left it until today, 5 days after. The joist still looks and feel wet unfortunately.

So my questions.

1) Should I leave it longer to check if the wetness is gone? I though 5 days should be enough for the original water to dry but maybe not?

2) Am I expecting too much for a roof to last for more than 5 years without problems?

3) Are flat roofs too troublesome to repair or is it likely to just need re-doing?

4) I doubt the roofer would re-do the roof for free but should I expect a reduced fee?

5) Should I wait until spring/summer to get it redone if I do?

6) Any quick fixes I can do to keep it from ruining my ceiling?

Sorry for all the questions but Im royally pi55ed off. Just had to replace the ceiling in the front room because of a leaking roof which I had to get replaced. Cant be arsed with the back one doing it too!!!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I can't get up as I don't have any ladders long enough! Im not 100% on the material but I do know that the guy uses a big pot of hot stuff to stick it down rather than the torch the back of the material method, if that makes sense ha.

Have you ruled out condensation?

What are the details regards insulation and/or ventilation of said roof?

Sponsored Links
Id be surprised at condensation as the wetness is located to certain areas only. Ventilation wise with the insulation in there isnt any. Now ive taken it out there is an 8 inch gap for some air to get round.

I know it sounds obvious but leaks occur when it rains and condensation occurs when it is cold and often when it is dry.

If you have the ceiling down and the insulation removed then now would be an ideal time to spot if it is a leak.

The ceiling is still up so I cant really see anything. Going to keep an eye on it for a bit longer before deciding what to do, Just hope the plasterboard doesnt come down like it did on the front! Oh well

It always difficult to vent dormers as there is no obvious top vent. Your best bet would be a warm roof contstruction. Have you looked into zinc as a roof covering?

Update: checked today and it looks/feels fairly dry!!!

The ceiling patch has somewhat faded in colour too. Maybe the fix did repair the leak and it has just taken longer to dry out than i expected?

Has been raining so i hope so. Fingers crossed.

Patching the roof up wil only last so long, how big is the dormer? I would look at ripping it up and redoing it. Saying that though, 5 years is a silly amount of time for a leak to occur, get in touch with the roofer and explain the situation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back