Flat roof on garage - will this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m hoping there is someone out there that can give me some advise. Please keep any advise, or mocking, in laymans terms as I’ve never done this before so I can get very confused.

I want to replace my garage flat roof as it’s in a bad state and there is terrible condensation. I might as well go shower in the garage for the amount of water that drips down in winter. The idea is to do a quick and cheap job that only needs to last 3 years while I save enough to redo the garage properly. At the moment it is made up of plastic corrugated sheets fastened on the beams, which are fixed flat, horizontally at the top of the garage. There is virtually no ventilation.

My plan is below. I aim on adding some ventilation by raising the roof by 1-2cm and installing anti-condensation sheets. Can you please let me know any issues with it, or perhaps any better/easier ways of doing it. Remember, it doesn’t need to be perfect, just last 3 years :) . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Remove current sheets. Check and treat beams.

2. I’ve got some pine strips from an old bed. To add some height to the roof and therefore provide the ventilation (i.e. small gap so the sheets don’t sit flush on the walls) I will attach these to the top of the beams.
a. I’m toying with the idea of adding multiple layers to the one side, decreasing as I move down, so as to give a degree or 2 of pitch. I don’t know if such a small pitch will add any value and it will complicate the fastening.
b. Another idea would to install the roof with no gap (as original) but add some type of venting. Although that sounds a lot harder than just raising the roof sheets a bit.

3. Fasten anti-condensation sheets with some slight overhang on the front and back sections so angled rain doesn’t get in the new gap.
a. I worry about high winds now doing damage because of the larger gap and overhang. Is this an issue if there is an overhang of about 10cm?

4. Install fascia boards or ridge pieces on the side. I don’t know what they are exactly called, but those 90-degree things that make the edge look nicer and will seal from the angled rain. I won’t be able to install on the front and back or I will block the ventilation.

So, does that sound ok for a temporary job? Any thing I should look out for?

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Ok. I'm hoping that there were no replies cause no one can think of a better way to do it :D :(

as you may expect we dont tend to bodge thing so dont have bodges up our sleeves
how do you know its leakingas plastic and metal roofs are prone to terrible condensation
what slope is on the roof
what sort off plastic is used [corrugated twin wall etc]
have you got pictures ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back