Flat roof options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of independent advice.

I have a 2 storey extension (12sqm) with a flat roof on my house that was built about 30+years ago. I believe it was last re-roofed 15+years ago and is a felt and gravel design.

There is no sign of leaks at present but before I start decorating the interior I want to get it re-roofed and, in particular, add some insulation as I don't think there is much/any there at present (its freezing in winter and boiling in summer...plus I can hear the birds scratching around on it quite loudly).

I've got a few quotes so far and each has recommended a different system and so I am a bit confused. For info I am in SE England.

1. Torch on felt - replace boards, facia boards, refelt, and add 100mm insulation between joists. 20yr warrantee. £1700

2. GRP - new boards, facia, replace guttering and downpipe, add warm roof insulation. 10yr warrantee. £1800

3. EPDM - new boards, facia, add 100mm insulation between joists. 20yr warrantee. £2400

From reading various posts on hear and on other sites I was expecting GRP to be the most expensive. Yet my quote is comparable to the Felt. Is that something to be concerned about or is the Felt price just a bit high?

Is there much benefit to having a warm roof instead of a cold roof? Any improvement in warmth? Two quotes suggested cold roof would be adequate whereas one said warm roof would be much better.

My overall aim of this work is to get something that improves the warmth of the room in winter and I can be confident will be leak proof for many years to come. I'm not too bothered about aesthetics as the roof itself won't be visible...that said I quite like the idea of the GRP/EPDM, I think mainly because of the seamless nature of it.

Any advice/comments about the various options/quotes would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is there much benefit to having a warm roof instead of a cold roof? Any improvement in warmth? Two quotes suggested cold roof would be adequate whereas one said warm roof would be much better.

Warm roof construction is the simplest way to cover a flattie without the headache of venting and condensation issues.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back