Flat roof problems

Thanks Steve. Nice bit of marketing but you avoided my question again!

Now lets get past the marketing and look at the product you're promoting because its really niggling me when you make these claims as if they are new. Ferrocement is centuries old.

You can control your working environment and gauge your materials as much as you want. But you have no control over the weather which plays a significant part in the curing process of ferrocement.

For the uneducated on ferrocement:

To construct something from ferrocement, someone starts by creating a frame of wire mesh. Chicken wire is a common choice, but any sort of metallic mesh will work. The mesh is often layered, creating a matrix. Next, a mixture of cement, sand, and water is spread over the frame, typically very thinly, and then the ferrocement structure is allowed to cure; most people keep the ferrocement moist as it sets. The curing time varies, but can exceed a month in some climates and situations. At the end of the curing period, the resulting structure is quite strong and very solid, despite the fact that the walls are very thin.

Therefore, unless you have weather control tools. (This would be worth putting on youtube). Every individual ferrocement roof will cure differently depending on the climate when it was installed and the climate in the following month whilst the material cures. How do you keep a roof moist for 1 month?

How can you guarantee this consistent performance?

Goes back to my original point of installing membranes like EPDM which are manufactured in factory controlled conditions and can guarantee performance.

Mr Jon Thomas (GCSE NVQ)

Sponsored Links
After shopping around for a flat room for my new build,100 mSq. I decided to go for the RoofKrete system. Although the roofkrete system was double the price of a single ply membrane on paper it looked a great system. Unfortunately the roof leaks it leaks at many points and after 5 attempts to patch up the roof it still leaks. I have taken some 200 pictures of the roof from start to finish and even though I have photographic evidence of every patch and every leak the Roofkrete MD Roy Jenkins is still in denial that his system actually works. I have lost all faith in Roofkrete and am now preparing to reclaim my money via the courts. My roof still leaks. This roof has to come of which is going to be a massive expense. I Would not advises on this system and would strongly advice you do some thorough research. Should a new roof with a 30 year guarantee be leaking after 4 months?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back