Flat roof timber rot. How often does it happen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Small flat roof (2.4ms x 1.5ms). It's a kitchen extension. There's some evidence of leaks. Our roofer, who I trust, has had a look. The boards are sound, the joists are sound (only about 15 years old). He's just going to felt over.

The ceiling's down, I've put 75mm BallyTherm in between the joists. The joists are 100mm and theres a couple of inches of firrings. I'll fill gaps with expanding foam. I'll put DPM on underside of joists and use foil backed insulated plasterboard.

But... there is no ventilation to the space between the joists. Do I really need to worry? Though it's a kitchen I'm putting in a powerful cooker hood. All cooking is electric, including induction hob. Big opening window next to hob. So I'm doing all I can to remove moisture at source, and to prevent it getting into the ceiling void.

Roofers - do you often go out to jobs where poorly ventilated flat roofs have a rot problem caused by lack of ventilation?

Sponsored Links
When you say that the "boards" are sound, i presume that you are talking about ply or OSB sheeting?

You wont know the true condition of the boards until the felt has been stripped. The old felt should be removed.

Have the terms cold roof, and warm roof been used? Perhaps, you should google pics and diagrams of them.

The "firrings" will probably be tapered firring pieces, they reduce to almost nothing at the discharge end of the roof - dont rely on them for an air gap.

If you have no ventilation between the deck and insulation you should pack the insulation hard to the deck, In other words full fill then your vapour check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back