Flat roof v pitched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I probably already know the answer to this....but here goes.

I have a single garage with part pitched, part flat roof. The flat roof is leaking in the corners (not much surprise there) and I need to do something in the spring to fix it. The pitched part of the roof is fine, just a bit of pointing to be done around the ridge tiles.

What's the general life span for a flat roof? If I have the flat roof re-done, would I be throwing good money after bad? Are flat roofs any better than they were years ago? I think the roof on my garage is about 7 or 8 years old.

I'm going to have some quotes for a full pitch and also to just re-do the flat roof part.

Is it worth renewing a flat roof or in the long run should I just save up and go for a full pitched roof?

Sponsored Links
A premium felt roof will last a minimum of 20 years +/ The issue being is Joe Blogs does not have access to the licensed systems.

IKO will sell their mid range in most proper roofing stockists, and if installed well you'll get 15 + out of it.

Bauder is the ultimate felt system, but at a minimum of £60 m2 installed without insulation, the domestic market won't cough up that much.

You can get a lifetime guarantee on any standing seam roof in either zinc, copper or stainless steel which can go down to 3 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies here. I don't really want the hassle of having building work done to fully pitch the roof and would prefer to just renew the flat roof for now. I was just worried that I'd be wasting money.

I'll ask around for some local tradespeople and will get some quotes.

I have a horrible feeling that the previous owner may have done the flat roof himself. He was a keen diy enthusiast....without the skill to back it up unfortunately.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back