Flat roof with large skylight, opinions on where to slope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thinking of having an Orangery similar to the one in the photo but against a 2 story house.
roof2_zps0bcb9207.jpg

The Flat roof area will be approx 5.5M x 2.5M and the skylight will sit on it and have approx 500mm all around for access/cleaning etc.

What are your opinions as to which way the slope of the roof should be? If it's just back to front i.e. away from the house will the rain collect against the upstand of the skylight? Or should it be to both sides and then to the front?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the roof covering is done correctly this will not be an issue so front to back. That would likely be the simplest way to do the joists etc, all in one plane.

the ones ive seen had the back bit sloping sideways withe the highest point in the middle, then the sides ran sideways too and the front ran to the front.

Sponsored Links
That looks nice, i had something similar in mind for my extension and in fact i asked the question on this forum if i could have pitched roof with skydome and your pic kind of confirms it.
It would be helpful to know if you have decided on the size of your skylight and if you have a supplier in mind?
Cheers

Looks like our skylight will be about 4500 x 1500 and so far the best place I can see is from Howells Glazing Systems (Aluminium)

Hope that helps.

thanks for the info much appreciated. I might be asking too much here but worth a try, what sort of budget you need for this to be installed?
Cheers

Hi we haven't actually bought it yet but the quote for our size was approx £4200 to supply in double glazed with a 15 degree pitch (they do a triple glazed version and I think 30 degrees is normal)

And approx £2500 to fit it, although it looks like it wouldn't be beyond the scope of a good DIYer. Have a look at their website and downloads. They are very quick to give a quote and specs etc.

I wonder if they will give me a discount for my recommending them :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back