Flat Roof woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into a house with a large dormer window/flat roof which we knew would need replacing. We engaged a local roofer to do the work, but he turned out to be a cowboy who replaced the boards, but we have not heard from him since (4 weeks now). My sister’s boyfriend (a builder) offered to finish the job, and we accepted. The first time it rained after he finished, we had water come in through the gaps in the newly replaced plasterboard ceiling. It continued to drip for at least 36 hours after raining, indicating water retention somewhere. The question I really have is what needs to go down underneath green mineral felt on a flat roof, as I think there may be nothing between it and the boards (waiting to speak to sister’s boyfriend). And should I just bite the bullet and get a proper roofing firm out to do the roof with the rubber stuff? Sorry for the long post!

Sponsored Links
Why rubber :?: there are proper roofing felts that look like the old green/white chipping stuff........but are much better...and proper roofers believe it or not :LOL: I`d rather put a condom on my chimney that rubber on a Dormer :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't give a monkey's what it looks like, I want it to keep water out!!!

Gaz Spurs said:
turned out to be a cowboy who replaced the boards, but we have not heard from him since (4 weeks now).
Do you know what the boards materials is? T&G chipboards or plywood etc

Does the flat roof have firrings (angle timber on joists under the boards) and also cross air-flow between joists etc

masona said:
Gaz Spurs said:
turned out to be a cowboy who replaced the boards, but we have not heard from him since (4 weeks now).
Do you know what the boards materials is? T&G chipboards or plywood etc

Does the flat roof have firrings (angle timber on joists under the boards) and also cross air-flow between joists etc

Marine ply boarding, don't know about firrings.

The space between the boarding and plasterboard ceiling is full of lost insulation, so no air flow I shouldn't think.

Gaz Spurs said:
should I just bite the bullet and get a proper roofing firm out to do the roof with the rubber stuff? Sorry for the long post!
I think so, will be cheaper in the long run, is it possible to have a low pitch roof instead?

Get it covered with lead ;) :LOL: that`s A Proper job...........Kent......."roofer"........they must`ve travelled over to you from us in Sussex :cry:

ok, water still coming in, but I had several guys round last week, and going to get one of them to sort it out, he is approved by Bexly council, etc.

Question is, with the water that is sat up there now, will the joists and insulation eventually dry out? I'm a bit concerned the insualtion won't dry out properly, and will cause the timbers to rot.

Come on guys, whats wrong with EPDM rubber roofing? I'm seriously cosidering this for my flat garage roof.:cool:

Gaz Spurs said:
Question is, with the water that is sat up there now, will the joists and insulation eventually dry out? I'm a bit concerned the insualtion won't dry out properly, and will cause the timbers to rot.
Eventfully but will be quicker if you have air vents via the soffit or if damaged plasterboards then leave it off until dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back