Flat to pitched roof cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking to move house and seen a property I like which has a slate roof but a flat roof which looks to be leaking over an old extension.

Main reason to change it is ashethics as well and sorting a perished roof. There is another flat roof at ground level which would be replaced later with epdm

I have attached some pictures and would be greatful if you could help with rough costs. The room below is approx 5.7m in length and 3.5m wide.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks in advance

IMG_0203.PNG IMG_0206.PNG IMG_0205.PNG

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need planning permission and I'd expect a fight with the neighbours. You need to work out the pitch angle possible given its size as this will dictate the roof materials, plus the current build might not be able to take the load, existing roof might also need strengthening internally.

I've no idea of the cost but £15k would be my guess including contingency. location makes a big difference to cost

That house looks like four houses stuck together. The planners ought to be grateful of any improvements.

Sponsored Links
Well he's got a point, I wouldn't expect you to get any issues getting it through planning, it would improve it no end. I'd think the figure of £15K quoted earlier in the thread would cover it OK, though that's the only useful thing I'd take from that particular post.

Well he's got a point, I wouldn't expect you to get any issues getting it through planning, it would improve it no end. I'd think the figure of £15K quoted earlier in the thread would cover it OK, though that's the only useful thing I'd take from that particular post.

I wouldn't have though planning would be an issue, but £15k seems very high

Professional Fees for putting together the planning application, submitting the application, designers fees, structural engineers fees, building regs fees, scaffolding, removing and disposal of the top of the extension walls and probably the existing flat roof, crane hire to get trusses up there & slating the lot + a valley or two. A good chunk of £15K I'd say.

From the photos I couldn't work out if the car was parked on the neighbours drive or not? If there is a good gap between the bungalow and the house then they might not end up with scaffolding on their land.

I had a look on google maps and I can see there is about a meter between boundary.

Last edited:
From the photos I couldn't work out if the car was parked on the neighbours drive or not? If there is a good gap between the bungalow and the house then they might not end up with scaffolding on their land.

I had a look on google maps and I can see there is about a meter between boundary.
I'm allowed the odd slip.

The frontage does look combobulated though, you have to admit.

It all looks original apart from the bit above the garage. Not sure if that's what's making it look funny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back