Floating shelf for custom width?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to put a couple of floating shelves on a wall between two side walls, above a toilet.

It's unlikely off-the-shelf (pun intended) floating shelves from the shop will be the exact right width (75cm W x 22cm D, as it happens). So how do I go about getting the right dimensions for this? Don't imagine I can cut shop-bought shelves.

What's more, the shelf is to go on plasterboard. How?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Quite easy to fit a shelf where you have support from three walls, simplest method is a screw in plasterboard fixing on the three sides leaving the head proud by 10mm, offer shelf up and tap board to mark the underside where it meets screws, notch the under side to half the depth and drop shelf on , the screws disappear up in the slots.

You can make deeper shelf and put a concealed baton at the rear and sides but requires more skill and tools.

Hi,
Don't imagine I can cut shop-bought shelves.

Thanks.

Actually it's perfectly possible and I've done a couple recently. The one was just as you are planning in a recess. The customer wanted floating oak shelves but didn't want to spend a fortune ( how often have we heard that?) . We purchased the floating shelves from ikea which are built basically like an egg box flush door at less than a tenner each. To fix to the wall I trimmed the ends , cut a timber the same depth as the inside space of the shelf ( around 38mm if memory serves) and fixed that to the wall as well as the metal bracket that came with it and then just slid the shelf onto these timbers.
I did a similar job with the same shelves where the customer wanted a return , internal corner of a wall , again using the same method. No problems at all and the second customer has a lot of heavy books on the shelves.
Conversely another customer had asked me to fit some floating shelves she had brought off the internet. While I was fitting them she said they had not got a good review but to fit them anyway. I did that and when to do something else in the next room , only to hear a scream . Went back in and the brackets had sagged as she was loaded the shelves out with books :eek: so I ended up sticking conventional shelf brackets on.

Hi,
Don't imagine I can cut shop-bought shelves.

Thanks.

Actually it's perfectly possible and I've done a couple recently. The one was just as you are planning in a recess. The customer wanted floating oak shelves but didn't want to spend a fortune ( how often have we heard that?) . We purchased the floating shelves from ikea which are built basically like an egg box flush door at less than a tenner each. To fix to the wall I trimmed the ends , cut a timber the same depth as the inside space of the shelf ( around 38mm if memory serves) and fixed that to the wall as well as the metal bracket that came with it and then just slid the shelf onto these timbers.
I did a similar job with the same shelves where the customer wanted a return , internal corner of a wall , again using the same method. No problems at all and the second customer has a lot of heavy books on the shelves.
Conversely another customer had asked me to fit some floating shelves she had brought off the internet. While I was fitting them she said they had not got a good review but to fit them anyway. I did that and when to do something else in the next room , only to hear a scream . Went back in and the brackets had sagged as she was loaded the shelves out with books :eek: so I ended up sticking conventional shelf brackets on.

Should not sag if fitted securely :oops:

Sponsored Links
Oh it was fitted securely but the brackets were quite flimsy . To be fair in the advert for them it showed a couple of little lightweight ornaments rather than the not inconsiderable number of books the customer piled on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back