Flooding Draper Expert Brush Cutter

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks,

Forgive me for posting this question here - as it's a motor question, it seemed appropriate.

I bought a 'Draper Expert 45576 32 cc Petrol Brush Cutter and Line Trimmer' about two years ago. I needed a brushcutter to tackle a badly overgrown, I was broke and it was at more affordable end of the spectrum.

To start it. It's primed by closing the choke, pushing the primer 10-15 times and pulling the pullstring once or twice. It will generally then start and cut out . You then open the choke, pull the pullstring and she will start no problem.

However if I need to stop her for some reason to fix the cutting cord or she will often just cut out at idling. It's damn near impossible to get here started again. I think the engine floods some of the time as I find petrol in the air filter.

With my mower, I can fix this pretty easily. I open the choke, pull the cord a few times and it clears out the head, and it will then generally start. No such luck with the brushcutter. I have tried everything I can think of, I have even taken out the spark plug and left it open for a while, to left the petrol evaporate - to little effect.

Any clue as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ray K

Sponsored Links
My Qualcast strimmer does the same . Often taking out the plug and wiping it on a rag gets it going. Have you tried a new plug?
Burnerman will be along in a minute with words of wisdom

Thanks for the accolade Dave ;)
Ray - welcome to the world of the pesky two stroke!
Expect to find the air filter wet.....surprisingly, this is due to the fact that these engines actually expel some of their fuel charge out through the air intake on every revolution - its just how they work and its not a fault.
However, if you think that the motor is flooded, take the plug out and tip the engine upside down.....if fuel comes out of the plug hole then its flooded right enough.
Its probably due for a carb clean, if you want to get stuck in, but sometimes the gaskets split which is a bore.
Does your carburettor have two adjustable screws, marked L and H, as well as a fast idle screw?
John :)

My Qualcast strimmer hasn't got mixture screws. Heaven knows how I'd set the mixture after cleaning the carb. Maybe it's a throwaway job?

Sponsored Links
No screws at all.....hmmm!
Its easy enough to strip the carb but the problem is if the gaskets tear - and they often do - getting replacements could be a right pain.
These carbs have two gaskets, with diaphragms and its vital that the diaphragms are replaced in the order that they came out. One diaphragm is the fuel pump mechanism (that has U shaped flaps on) and the other is a metering device that directly squirts fuel into the jets.....the centre of that one is circular.

I think you may be overdoing the priming, Ray.....usually 7 pumps of the bulb are enough and naturally you should be able to see the bulb filling with fuel.

I think you may be overdoing the priming, Ray.....usually 7 pumps of the bulb are enough and naturally you should be able to see the bulb filling with fuel.

You might be right, its says on the side of the cutter x10 beside the primer.

Does the bulb filling with fuel mean it's good to go?
Although I think the bulb is fairly opaque.

Unfortunately it doesn't.....it just means that the fuel is available at the needle valve - it doesn't allow for any jet blockages!
No visible fuel is an issue, of course and indicates a faulty pump diaphragm usually.
In theory you can use the primer bulb until the cows come home, but in practice a tiny amount of fuel may be passing through the needle valve if its worn.

Can you see that funny looking screw with the notch in, Ray - just where the fuel pipes are?
That's actually a mixture screw but you need a special screwdriver to turn it......its actually called a Pacman driver, believe it or not because of its shape.
Unfortunately I don't know if its the slow running or fast running mixture that it controls, but if you can get the thing to run its easy enough to find out.

The more expensive machines, which use carburettors such as the Zama or Tillotson often - but not always - have two mixture screws, one for low speed running and one for high.
I would guess yours is for high speed running but I don't know for sure.
Machines with a high loading, such as chainsaws, need much more fuel to run fast......hence the two separate mixtures.

Is this a carb of the type that has a rotary throttle valve and not a brass butterfly ? the former has a long needle valve that rises when the throttle arm turns which richens the mix
If it is, they can be a real pain as some cant be adjusted and require a new carb if they become erratic .
If it is an adjustable type there is a tiny adjusting screw directly above the needle but a plastic plug has to be prised out to get at it.
edit:
just re read op, this wont help with the flooding though.
litl

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back