Floor beams projecting into cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are doing an extension, and the ground floor is a Forterra Jet Floor (concrete beams with polystyrene infill). The beams can only be supplied in 50mm increments, so in order to get the required span we end up with the beams projecting 40mm into the 100mm cavity at one end. Forterra say we can trim this overhang off with a disc cutter.

My question is, do we actually need to cut this off, or can it just be left sticking into the cavity? Given that it doesn't bridge the cavity, I couldn't really see the need. Would rather not cut prestressed beams if the extra length isn't causing a problem.

Thanks
Jack

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit crap of the beam supplier, have you tried an alternative supplier? What insulation is proposed in the cavity? I'd be less concerned if it were 100mm full fill than say 50mm Celotex. Why is its B/B anyway?

I'm intruiged what catastrophic damage or danger you are worried could arise from cutting 40mm off??

Sponsored Links
I would rather cut them off flush as this would reduce the risk of moisture in the cavity landing on their surface and seeping through the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back