Floor Boards to High

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am removing all the floorboards in my hallway and will be fitting chipboard that is not quite as thick as the original Floorboards. This is fine as i intend to lay a floating floor over this. The problem i have is there used to be a door which has now been bricked up however this doorway had the floorboards running in a continuous length through. The result would be approximately 5 boards coming out from the wall by about 6 inches at a higher lever.
The doorway has been bricked up to the lintel for some strange reason personally i would have just used studded this out and boarded as it is an internal wall.
My options are:
Remove bricks and stud (lots of work)
Is there a way of reducing the thickness of the boards easily... if i plane it then i would have to plane across the wood as the wall would restrict my planer.
Ideally is there such a thing as a planer that has a blade on or near the front ?

Sponsored Links
I would use thicker board or shim / pack the boards to the right hight myself.
Belt sander might do the job but I would keep the same hight given the choice.

Ii am going to put a floating laminate on top. The chipboard would lower the floor by a few mm to offset the floating floor as i did not want to raise the floor to much.

When you've removed the hall floorboards, can't you just saw through the ones that are peeking out under the bricked up doorway?

Sponsored Links
Sorry did not explain that bit. They need to stay on a joist which is where I will be cutting them which leaves them protruding 6inches in to Hall. As I said someone has bricked up the doorway so the floorboards are supporting the brick. I think it will be a problem if nothing supports boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back