floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully moving at the end of the month to a 1925 solid walled property. It has some lovely floorboards in the lounge which I hope to simply sand and finish.

I think it is planks as opposed to tongue and grooved and I suspect there will be some small gaps. I'm considering gluing in slivers, however I think the gaps are very small and it may detract from the look.

Keen to maximise the efficiency of the home, what could I do to the floor? I recon there is some scramble room under the floor (pot-holing style!), so is it a possibility to fix some rigid foam insulation between the joists to insulate from drafts and radiated heat loss?

Any thing I need to consider? Is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
Do you know what's underneath the floor? Joists? Is there a Damp Proof Membrane (DPM). If not would be worthwhile removing the floorboards laying a DPM then insulating between the joists. What a difference that will make to the energy efficiency of the house. I used earthwool but think Kingspan/Celotex boards would do.

Sponsored Links
Rather then gluing slivers, why not try to caulk the joints with cheapo black twine soaked in PVA and pushed into the joints?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back