Floor joist problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're renovating our 1850s home, and have recently revealed an badly supported and repaired floor joist.

I'd noticed the floor had dropped on our landing and can now see why!

While stripping the plasterboard what little was holding the joist up has fallen away. I'm off to get an acrow prop first thing to hold it up.

Due to the not so good previous repair, I've pretty much decided to renew the whole joist.

My question is, what would be the best way to support the new joist? The wood lintel seems to be in good condition. I was considering bricking it above the lintel. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I would put the Acroyd at the end of the overlap of the old joists and jack the floor back up to where it should be. then put a new joist in on the side of the old one. This would also make it more central to the door. I am not so optimistic about the door lintel as one end seems to be resting on a halved wooden post, I suppose just make sure its well fixed.
Frank

Thanks Frank

This wall was external many moons ago. Now there is nothing above what you can see here except the small section of wall.

I'll take a closer look later, but am 99.9% certain that the lintel is embedded at both ends into the stonework

Jacking up with an Acrow seems the logical thing to do but, in old property, by raising the slumped floor then other areas of the floor and any partitions might be disturbed. Careful watch must be kept, and minute pressure must be applied in jacking.

What is above, where are the stairs and bathroom?

The RH bit of joist will need replacing, and maybe other joists will need sistering?

If the idea is to replace the panel of stone rubble above the door lintel with brickwork then a few more Acrows may be needed to keep any joistings in position during the bricklaying.

Before any jacking, all the polystyrene tiles need to be removed.

Perhaps more pics showing more of the room and joists - pic 1. refers to where for instance?

The above might seem to be quite a list but when a competent builder walks on site he takes in most all this at a glance, before saying whats required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ree

Ok, above this section is the upstairs landing which the stairs meet up to. Above this joist there is a studwork wall which (after inspection today) is going to stop the joist from returning to its correct position. The house was renovated somewhat about 40-50 years ago. The studwork wall looks to have been built after the joist had started dropping, but nothing done about it.

The bathroom is downstairs, so no issues there

This is part of our entrance hallway. There is only the one joist in this section. The other joists sit on top of the stone wall to the right and left of this.

After closer inspection of this section of the house it is now apparent that the other joists (above the front room and below the bedroom) have sagged. I knew the floor was uneven upstairs, but can now see why.

I am considering stripping the floorboards upstairs completely with the view of replacing all the joists.

I would sister them, but would like to get the house back some of its original features. These being exposed joists downstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back