Floor Strength - New Fish Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound like a stupid question, but it just dawned on me....

I live in a 1900s terraced house which (at some point, I think in the 70s or 80s) had it's loft converted to another 2 rooms and a bathroom. The floors are wooden boards/planks and I assume are supported on wooden beams. Just a normal floor really. With bedrooms etc below.

I currently have an aquarium up there, which holds just under 70l, so lets say weighs about 80kg to be on the safe side. So far it hasn't fallen through the floor!

I'd like to replace this with a much bigger tank, probably holding 150-180l of water, so to be on the safe side, I'd say it'll weigh 200kg after all accessories and stand.

Should an average floor be able to hold that kind of weight, assuming the stand is about 1m x 0.5m (l x w)? I'd hate to find the aquarium and contents on the floor below!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
An average floor may be able to hold it, but your loft? Dont be too sure. Lift a floorboard and check the joist depth.

An average floor may be able to hold it, but your loft? Dont be too sure. Lift a floorboard and check the joist depth.

What sort of joist depth would be required?

Is there any way of knowing whether or not the actual structure (ie what's holding the top floor/loft up) is up to it? I'm assuming it is, I mean I can fill the bath and it doesn't fall through and there was a 30 gallon water tank in the loft which is no longer used due to getting a new heating system installed.

Water tanks in lofts are usually supported by a frame which spreads the load across the joists, and are placed close to or above a wall below. Like Steve says you'll have to see whats going on under the floor. Depth of joist is also dependant on span, if you place the tank between two load bearing walls on slightly deeper joists you may get away with it. But have a look and get back to us.

Sponsored Links
you need to know the joist span as well as the depth. most floors are designed for a 1.5kN load which is 150 kg.
what is the fish tank going to be standing on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back