Floor Tiles in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am new to this site so Hi. Hope I am asking this question in the correct place.

I am wanting to tile my bathroom and en suite, yes I do mean I want to not my other half. Is this ok, will the weight be a problem.

Sorry to sound thick but I am not sure if this will be alright.

Dont shoot me down in flames, I am only a woman after all.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I am new to this site so Hi. Hope I am asking this question in the correct place.

er, no, there is a tiling forum but i am sure a mod will move it

Is this ok, will the weight be a problem.

not if you are tiling on tissue paper.
you have "spoken" a lot but said nothing. more info required. existing floor, what new tiles etc

Hey Breezer,

"Thanks" for your response!!!!

As I said I am new to the site and didnt realise there was a "tiling" forum until after I had posted. Wrists slapped for being such a naughty person.

I wont bother to come back thanks anyway, cant be bothered with ignorant people when it was uncalled for.

As I said I am new to the site and didnt realise there was a "tiling" forum until after I had posted. Wrists slapped for being such a naughty person.

It often helps when doing something "new" to read the instructions. The instrcutions in this case are the forum rules

Forum rules said:
8 ) Please post your query in the correct forum.

I wont bother to come back thanks anyway,
It is your choice / loss

cant be bothered with ignorant people when it was uncalled for.
Just because you did not read the rules, does not mean you can blame me for your error.

If the mods had been observant, they would have moved it, in which case you may not have typed as much as you did.

Do have a nice day

Sponsored Links
Hey Breezer,

"Thanks" for your response!!!!

I wont bother to come back thanks anyway, cant be bothered with ignorant people when it was uncalled for.
Well that told you then! :eek:

What a pleasant person you are breezer :rolleyes: . Once again thanks for your comments.

Have you never made a mistake or hit the enter button and after realised you shouldnt have, no I suppose not. Yep I am new, and yep I should have read all the rules very carefully but I obviously missed the Tiling forum but of course I am not perfect like yourself.

Once again I will accept a slapped wrist for being so naughty.

What a pleasant person you are breezer :rolleyes: . Once again thanks for your comments.

Have you never made a mistake or hit the enter button and after realised you shouldnt have, no I suppose not. Yep I am new, and yep I should have read all the rules very carefully but I obviously missed the Tiling forum but of course I am not perfect like yourself.

Once again I will accept a slapped wrist for being so naughty.

The person that never made a mistake hasn’t really done anything; it’s how you learn. The real trick is never to make the same mistake twice, just make new ones! :LOL:

I don’t really understand why your having another “poke” – unless you’re yet another non-de-plumb. ;) All of the regular contributors on here, even those with less patience & perhaps a less than perfect attitude, will give very good & mostly professional advice. You need to grow a slightly thicker skin my friend; abusing the regular contributors will not help solve your problem! :cry:

Milly so you posted in the wrong area big deal so what.

one thing I am starting to dislike about this site is the know it alls that know nothing. other than how to criticize others, be it spelling punctuation grammar postings or what ever.

If you have not already received the information you are looking for,

I will try to assist ,if you are planning to tile your bath room floor first you will need to establish what the substrate material is, ie tonge and grove floor boards or the larger fast flooring sheets that look like a very dense chipboard. the imposing load on a floor from tiling should be nothing to worry about . if the floor is tonge and groved flooring(traditional floor boards) you would be better to use a 6mm ply sheeting glued and pinned
with a 20 mm barbed pins pin to the original floor.at 200 mm centres do not use longer pins for risk of hitting pipe work below. then the floor is ready to tile .

As the floor is timber I would recommend you use a flexible adhesive and grout to allow for any seasonal movement in the flooring.

if the flooring is the fast floor then you are ready to tile straight away

How you tile is down to personal preference but a tip would be to start the lay out from a central point where you have two walls opposite each other
this will give an equal cut at the wall edges.

hope this helps

by the way my punctuation is naff, thank god for spell check BUT I CARE NOT and im told writing in capitals is classed as shouting :LOL:

And...... if your floor tiles are the slate type, then get some sealant & seal them before you lay them. then do it again when all finished.

In my last bathroom I laid slate tiles (well slate effect) and it took ages scrubbing the grouting off with wire wool when I had finished because they were not sealed first. :D

Dont dab the adhesive in corners, spread it using a spreader. dabing it will leave weak spots underneath where it may crack.

If you have lots of corners, nooks & crannies to fit into then an electric wheel tile cutter was a great help to me, although you do get very wet when using them (as if you have been behind a bike going through a muddy puddle :D )

As for the weight being a problem, that al depends upon how huge your hubbies beer gut is. :LOL:

if the floor is tonge and groved flooring(traditional floor boards) you would be better to use a 6mm ply sheeting glued and pinned with a 20 mm barbed pins pin to the original floor.at 200 mm centres do not use longer pins for risk of hitting pipe work below. then the floor is ready to tile .
I'd have to say that 6mm is way too thin. Have a read of the tiling sticky for recommended materials.

moderator 3 said:
Moderator 3
Moderator Comment Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 16:34 Comment:
Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.) - See here for more information.
Breezer - will you please stop bullying new members, it is uncalled for. Give the new members a chance to familiar with the forum. A person that don't make mistake, didn't do anything

Pot and kettle mod 3, check your own house is in order before you start.

If you care to read the post which you obviously haven't you will notice that i did say "...i am sure a mod will move it" but alas no mod / admin did, instead you (mod 3) wait a whole week before you do anything ! and then all you can do is to try and slag me off. some mod you are.

Hi Guys,

er, no, there is a tiling forum but i am sure a mod will move it

Is this ok, will the weight be a problem.

not if you are tiling on tissue paper.
you have "spoken" a lot but said nothing. more info required. existing floor, what new tiles etc

Also mod 3, while we are on the subject (you started it) i merely pointed out the post was first posted in the wrong forum, it was not me who started the abuse it was the OP

As this thread is now nothing to do with tiling and seems to involve little but pointless bickering, can it be moved to general discussion please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back