floor void access hatch - joist cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to make an access hatch to my ground floor void (suspended timber floor) to install underfloor insulation from below.

I am going to try and put a access hatch in the cupboard under the stair to minimise disruption in the house.

However the problem is as the joists (4 x 2) are 16 inch centres i need to remove one of the joists to make a hatch big enough.

At one end of this joist where i want to put hatch and remove, is on a sleeper wall so its not an issue, however at the over then the place i want to cut the joist is slap bang in the middle of the sleeper walls and if i cut it won't be supported.

my question is when i cut the joist what are my options to support the end of the cut joist, build another sleeper wall at the end (approx 400mm high?) of the joist or its there another method.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there is a simple method called trimming - just like your loft hatch will probably be trimmed in.
Go up and have a look, and then google diagrams of hatch trimming.

cheers for that, so basically at the cut of the joist, span to the adjacent joists.

i think that would work as the area is joist at that point is not bearing a significant load, if any (its the cupboard under the stairs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back