Floor/wall junction, damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prewar council house, badly refurbished by the local authority about 10 years ago. New concrete floor put into the kitchen then.

The walls were rendered first, very thickly, right down to the ground, bridging the DPC.

The floor was then laid to the render. The concrete floor does not therefore actually reach the brickwork itself. Nor was the floor membrane turned up the wall - it simply touches it, with slight gaps here and there.

Having now removed the rotten render, I find that I'm left with a gap between the floor/membrane, and the brickwork. This is noticeably damp.

Obviously, the new plaster is not going down that low. This time it will stop above the DPC. It will also be thinner than the original render.

Could I just fill the gap between floor and brickwork with cement to which a little waterproofer has been added? (I've inherited some Silka liquid waterproofer, I assume that this would be good?).

Sponsored Links
Is this lower damp brickwork, visibly damp on the interior or the exterior. If the former...you've got a problem. The damp won't go away by covering it, and I feel this is something that needs attending to in the first instance, prior to any plaster work etc.

It's not the brickwork at all. There is literally a gap between the floor and the wall. That's where the damp is.

What is the problem if the damp is not above the floor and up the wall?

Sponsored Links
Could I just fill the gap between floor and brickwork with cement to which a little waterproofer has been added? (I've inherited some Silka liquid waterproofer, I assume that this would be good?).

There is or used to be a product called "water plug" which was used for this problem.
If I recall it was produced by Sika or Thoroeseal.

What is the problem if the damp is not above the floor and up the wall?

Eventually moisture vapours condense behind skirting boards and you end up with what appears to be " Rising damp"
God I wish I'd never said that. :LOL: :LOL:

Rising damp wash your mouth out, don't you know that's a myth :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks.

Anobium: Any idea whre I can get this stuff? I've asked in MKM and Travis Perkins but all I got was blank looks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back