Floppygearstick on peugeot 106

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I was driving along and heard a bang under the car, then the gearstick was floppy. I could only get gears 2 and 3. I still drove home 30 miles but had to slip the clutch in 2nd gear in order to start moving after a traffic light. The gears 2 and 3 don't seem to be in the same selection place as before.
I have a year 2000 Peugeot 106, 1124cc
Do you know whats wrong and how much it costs to fix?

Sponsored Links
Easy fix mate - the linkages on these are weak ball jointed rods and they often fail.....there's 2 or 3 depending on the model and by looking at the back of the engine you'll see which has failed.
GSF do some bits, failing that its ebay or dealer.
You'll need some slip joint pliers to pop the replacements on.....its a bit awkward but easily doable.
John :)

Thanks, -I have been given the (unwanted) job at work of training up the son of the competitor company, who are going to take us over and put us all out of a job. My workmates don't want me to train him up. I don't want to do it but my boss says I have to.....I believe my workmates might have vandalised the ball joints in order to stop me getting to work ( I live 40 miles away and the workplace is only commutable by car, since its near Ardley, near Bicester).

So do you think this could have been an act of vandalism by my workmates, to put my car off the road, and stop me getting to work and training up our competitor.?

Also, do you know what was the bang sound that happened under the car when the gearstick went floppy?

Oh hell I don't know.....these selector rods are fine until one of the ball joints wears so much it simply disengages itself.
You either need to get the car up on a ramp or deep under the bonnet to get to them, and I could find easier things to sabotage!
If the connection at the bottom of the gear stick (outside underneath) is broken, there's no gears at all....that's easier to get to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the thing is there was a loud bang, and a ball socket just dropping out surely wouldn't cause that?
(I was driving along at 40mph when the bang happened)

I have to say it doesn't sound very likely, but the other symptoms you have are exactly as I would have expected ......maybe the rod hit the exhaust or the road or something?
Another possibility is that a gearbox mounting has given way but again, not too difficult to check.
I'll be interested to hear what's actually found!

Thanks, it goes into the garage on Monday.
I was going to double back and see if anything dropped off the car, but when I realised I only had gears 2 and 3 left....I just carried on and concentrated on trying to limp home with just the two remaining gears.

Back