Flourescent lights & circular saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting some fluorescent lights in a workshop tomorrow for a chipie. I thought I heard somewhere that if you have fluorescent lights on, when using, say, a circular saw, it looks like the blade isnt going round. Anyone else heard of this ?

Sponsored Links
yes its true.

its the stobing effect

its anyhthing that rotates not just saws.

some times it can make stuff look like its going backwards

there is a good demo, i will go find it

yep cant remember the technical name for it but to avoid it spread the lights our on different phases, its all to do with the ac wave cycle.

Sponsored Links
as i said it really is called strobinng (or its full name the stroboscopic effect)

you should arange lights to be fed from 3 phases, so that each light is a diffent phase than the next.

demo

although its a fountain, this clip demos the phenomanon very well.

you all know water falls but in this clip it looks like its standing still because the leds are strobing

clciky

Some workshops require incandescent lamps on all rotating machinery or the use of high frequency lighting units to ensure there is no strobe effect.

( flourescents go bright -dim 100 times a second. incandescents do not )

good call, I've rarely had this problem and when I did just wired alternate fittings from different phases, high frequency fittings I assume would solve the problem if its single phase !?!

most people who use workshop machinery should know about this; the incandescent lamp over the machine is quite normal. I've seen machines where it is set to illuminate the workpiece and comes on as soon as the machine is powered up, workshop managers come and shout at anyone who takes the bulb out and tell him he could lose a hand.

If there is aonly a single phase in the workshop you can use lead - lag twin flourescent fittings.

I'm not quite sure how it works, but a capactior is used to make one tube out of the pair strobe alternatly to the other by altering its power factor. (i.e. one tube is lit while the other is off)

I have seen an old factory with alternate single lead - lag fluorescents in a long row, but an incandescent lamp is the easiest bet.

RF Lighting said:
I'm not quite sure how it works, but a capactior is used to make one tube out of the pair strobe alternatly to the other by altering its power factor. (i.e. one tube is lit while the other is off)

I'd imagine its just as simple as that, a capacitor in series, the same way its used to shift the current on a start winding on a single phase induction motor out of phase :)

Anyway, I did it properly & used high frequency fittings (thanks to the replys on this forum :D ). They were £20 dearer each, than the normal flourescents, but its quite a serious looking workshop & thats what he wanted.

Probably won't cost £20 in the long run. They last longer and don't deteriorate with switching on and off.

just remember to tell who ever changes lamps when they fail, to make sure the fitting is powered off first. Otherwise you can damage the ballast. They don't take too kindly to high current surges when a new lamps is 'clicked' in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back