Flourescents fittings t8 and t5, whats the difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a couple of 4ft florescent fittings in my workshop and they are the high frequency type. They are both playing up so I want to buy some new ones and it started off simple but now I am confused. I have a box of 25 4ft tubes so I wanted to stick with the same size but on looking for HF fittings I see there are T5's and T8's in 4ft and one is 36w and one is 28w. My tubes are 36w and my local electrical place has a good price on the fittings but they are sold as the 28w type, does this matter i.e. can I use the 36w tubes in the 28w fittings or does that cause a problem?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In a word, YES, it does matter....

The 'T 'number denotes the diameter of the tube in multiples of 1/8" .... so the original 'fat' tubes where T12 ... or 1.5" diameter

The next generation of tubes (which also used better phosphors and gave more light per watt) where T8 ... or 1" diameter

The current new generation of tubes are T5 ... or 5/8" diameter and are even more efficient.

It was possible to replace an 'original' T12 40W 4' tube with the second generation of T8 4' tubes which are 36W and they worked fine with the original control gear.

The new T5 tubes are intended to work with HF (high frequency) control gear and cannot be used in older fittings or vice versa.

To do what you want, you need to buy a T8 4' fitting.

Adrian

T5 and T8 tubes have different pin spacings, so T8's will not physically fit a T5 fitting.

Sponsored Links
kid-sticking-out-his-tongue.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back