Flue exhaust outlet at 5ft between houses at fence height!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My neighbours boiler flue is approx 5ft above ground level if measured on my side of the fence!

This is between 2 houses with its own side entrance separated by a fence so distance is about 1m or just under from the fence line.
My neighbour is installing a new boiler, is there a minimum height the flue needs to be at?

Currently the exhaust hits me straight in the face when the boiler is on so I have to duck and hold my breath if I'm down the side close to it!
Even if standing 3 or 4m away it can still be very bad if wind is in the wrong direction!
In the winter if no wind the exhaust also can come right across and run up the side of my house so the window above I have to keep shut at all times.

Just wondering what is the best solution.
Can a U bend pointing up redirecting the exhaust up and away.
Can a new hole be drilled higher up.
Or do I just keep holding my breath when I use my side entrance :)

I can see slues installed at very low heights, but not found anything about when they're installed in this sort of situation!

Thanx for any info on this.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though the distances comply with regs, however a flue cannot be installed where it causes a nuisance to neighbours.
Pretty sure all manufacturers make a plume management kit for their flies now. You may have seen them they look a bit like a periscope or Google boiler plume management kit.
If you get on well with your neighbour it might be worth a chat

Thanx gasservice1985

I've just spoken to the builder and he said the outlet will be higher! I'm sure he has know idea where exactly it will come out though!
He said it will be straight out, so they don't plan to install a plume management kit and will be flush with the wall s it is now!
If it ends up close to 7ft rather than the current 5ft then I would be happy without the periscope!
It will still be a nuisance as far as when there is no wind blowing, but as long as it goes in close to the 7ft mark I would be happy with that.
Do they make a plume management kit with a 45 degree angle?
The 90 degree would just blow onto side of my house below window unless it goes almost all the way to gutter height! That might look a bit ugly!

Plume management kits are manufactured for exactly this type of situation.
The outlet pipe can be angled at 45 or indeed any where 0-90!

Sponsored Links
Plume management kits are manufactured for exactly this type of situation.
The outlet pipe can be angled at 45 or indeed any where 0-90!

Not necessarily try that, Vaillant/Glowworm plume kits must go vertical first. The angle can change from there

Thanx polesapart
Did you mean 45 degrees in the horizontal plane relative to the side wall of house!
I've seen some that turn once that have extended cortically. This would be best as it would push the exhaust out at 45 down the side entrance reducing chance of plume hitting my house!
The down side I think they look pretty ugly, at least some I've seen when doing an image search. this was a post on DIYnot a while back.
Looks bad but would push the plume down the side rather than across which would be better!
IMO depending on distance from other property and if there are side windows like my place then unless you turn the pipe like this it's probably better not installing one if you have enough ceiling height to raise the outlet from the boiler if that makes sense.
I would think this would give exhaust more time to disperse from a lower starting point!! (maybe)?
This one looks ugly as hell lol
158000_157865_29997_85098200_thumb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back