Flue Question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Am a newbie to the forum and i hope its ok to post a question..

I have a Glom-Worm SpaceSaver MKII. Runs fine. But am getting a Gas land lords certification done on the house and my plumer has stop me in my Tracks. He's having problems location the Flue? Reading about this boiler the Flue should go straight up. Now the property it looks like there is a exit for the flums but can't see no aluminum exit so he won't pass it? In most houses i've seen a aluminum exit coming on out the cimey..but am not sure..

Does anyone have any idea's or pointers they can help me with?

Sponsored Links
Can you explain just why he is having any difficulty?

He can use a smoke producing pellet to identify when the flue is outputting to.

I thought these were all balanced flue appliances? Is yours really an open flue?

If so then it should usually have a flue liner and an approved terminal.

Your gas registered person should be advising you as he has seen your installation and we have not.

Tony

Can you explain just why he is having any difficulty?

He can use a smoke producing pellet to identify when the flue is outputting to.

I thought these were all balanced flue appliances? Is yours really an open flue?

If so then it should usually have a flue liner and an approved terminal.

Your gas registered person should be advising you as he has seen your installation and we have not.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for your quick responce. Am puzzled why hes having difficulty with it aswell.

I've just spoken to him and he needs to see the terminal otherwise he wont pass it. He's also confirmed its a open flue.

Checking the flue termination is part of the testing, but as Tony said, smoke pellet should make it pretty obvious. If it really is an open flue, you need to use those anyway.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the reason why he can't see it. I've been to flats before where it was impossible to see the terminals on open flues. However a smoke test should confirm safe exit of POC. An advisory note can be made on the ticket, indicating that the terminal can't be seen, but no reason not to pass it. I'm assuming this is the case, not that he just doesn't know where it goes, which frankly would be a bit of a concern!

Part of the testing of the flue is to introduce a smoke generating pellet into the flue so that the dischagre poiint(s) can be identified and to ensure the flue is able to get rid of that volume of smoke.

A pellet produces 5 m³ of smoke during a burn time of 30 seconds.

During that time he will have placed you in front of the house on the other side of the street and he will run down the garden ( after visiting all the upstairs bedrooms if any have open fireplaces ).

It sounds as if he has not done the smoke test ???

As faulty open flued appliances can kill people its very important these tests are done properly.

Tony

Part of the testing of the flue is to introduce a smoke generating pellet into the flue so that the dischagre poiint(s) can be identified and to ensure the flue is able to get rid of that volume of smoke.

A pellet produces 5 m³ of smoke during a burn time of 30 seconds.

During that time he will have placed you in front of the house on the other side of the street and he will run down the garden ( after visiting all the upstairs bedrooms if any have open fireplaces ).

It sounds as if he has not done the smoke test ???

As faulty open flued appliances can kill people its very important these tests are done properly.

Tony

I agree with you all Open flues can kill. The thing is i think this plumer is trying to make a bit of cash on me. He said to be me hes got to look to the boliers Manual and find out how the flue works...blah..blah..blah..am going to call him back this morning and ask him to do a smoke test..failing that I'll call someone else out to do the test..

It really seems a bit odd that he has to find out how a flue works.

The gas assessments are about 60% devoted to matters relating to flues and using the smoke pellets are always part of the practical assessment.

I would be surprised if he was trying to make more money out of you but thats always a possibility. How much is he charging for the tests and certificate? In London we charge about £65 which is about average.

Tony

The gas assessments are about 60% devoted to matters relating to flues and using the smoke pellets are always part of the practical assessment.

I would be surprised if he was trying to make more money out of you but thats always a possibility. How much is he charging for the tests and certificate? In London we charge about £65 which is about average.

Tony

He's charging me £55 for the certificates. Am going to ring around and see if i can get some others to have a look. My trouble is I've got tenants ready to move in but I want to sort this out before i move anyone in.

Alarm bells ringin anyone who says they need to find out how an open flue works is SCARY , as a landlord you are leaving yourself wide open with open flue boiler and someone without a clue.
Dump him you may feel bad about it but notas bad as when your standing in the dock if something happens

Maybe it is an idea to find a proper RGI, every installer that comes over for a lgsc will want a fee. And rightfully so, as it not a job that is worth quoting on.

Tony

I don't know if this is true but i was talking to a plumer yesterday and he said he wouldn't give me a certificate if i had a open flue bolier. He said there too old and highly dangeours..is this true?

That is the first time I have heard anyone refuse to test them.

He is right that they do give many problems and kill people! Perhaps 5-20 deaths per year? He is just excercising his rights to avoid risky situations and I dont blame him.

Properly installed, an open flue is totally safe PROVIDING its not tampered with by tenants blocking up ventilation ducts etc. and its serviced and tested at least once a year ( sometimes more if molting pets or laminate floors ).

Tony

That is the first time I have heard anyone refuse to test them.

He is right that they do give many problems and kill people! Perhaps 5-20 deaths per year? He is just excercising his rights to avoid risky situations and I dont blame him.

Properly installed, an open flue is totally safe PROVIDING its not tampered with by tenants blocking up ventilation ducts etc. and its serviced and tested at least once a year ( sometimes more if molting pets or laminate floors ).

Tony

Actually the Vent duck was blocked but we managed to clean it out and its fulling working. fingers crossed i can find someone who can do it!

OP....not sure you are just worried that this guy has done his job properly and won't issue you a certificate that you need to go make money from your tennants.

If you are unsure he is qualified check him out on the gas safe register.....as for air bricks blocked he is damed right to have refused to have passed it.....sounds like you don't maintain your properties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back