Flueless gas fire ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a flueless gas fire installed in my living room without any ventilation beyond the vents on the double glazing units. The fire was installed by a gas safe engineer however, because there was no ventilation it was not certified and the gas to it has been closed off for the moment.

I am looking to get it certified but want to fit any necessary ventilation myself to minimise costs. The manufacturers installation instructions states that the room needs a 100cm2 vent. It doesn't say whether this can be indirect or has to be direct to the outdoors. I was hoping to put a vent through the floor into the sub floor, there are air bricks ventilating the sub floor direct to outside. Would ventilation in this way be sufficient to meet the requirements for Gas Safe certification.

I appreciate people have strong views on the safety of flueless fires but as the fire is already there and isn't coming out I would appreciate some advice on the ventilation.

Thanks,

Fraser

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you find someone to sign it off, however if your going to put your own ventilation in, then it needs to be at least 1m away from the appliance. If your going to vent it to the floor, that's allowable but has to be ducted under the floor to outside. Remember the ducting needs to be of cross sectional area equal too or greater than the required amount.

In the manufactures doc it should also mention regarding the room dimensions.

Hope that helps,

Begs the question

How could a gas safe whatyamacallim fit a flueless fire without a vent ?

Are you sure it was a gas safe bod ?

Is the fire capped off or just turned off at the valve?

Flueless Fire fitted by a GSR Engineer with NO VENT??? I don't think so! :eek: :confused:

Be aware that a room containing a Flueless fire must have a Minimum volume of I think 30 m/3 (don't quote me on that as i have not looked it up to confirm) as has been said any vent must be 1 mtr away from the appliance

personally I would never fit a flueless appliance in my own home and in the field I try to avoid them like the plague!

I suspect you have installed this fire yourself and un-registered ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you find someone to sign it off, however if your going to put your own ventilation in, then it needs to be at least 1m away from the appliance. If your going to vent it to the floor, that's allowable but has to be ducted under the floor to outside. Remember the ducting needs to be of cross sectional area equal too or greater than the required amount.

Hope that helps,

not in every case, lets not confuse the OP with wrong info, there are situations where a vent needs to be ducted but there is nothing in his post to give us enough info to tell him that it does or doesnt need ducted

The GSR engineer was a friend who installed it when I renovated the house about a year ago. I have recently moved into the house, it was previously rented out (hence the reason the fire wasn't operational). I think it is turned off at the valve rather than capped.

I think the minimum volume of the room is 23 m3 for this fire, the room far exceeds this.

Rather than put a vent through a wall and have cold air blowing in I want to vent it through the floor boards into the subfloor. The air bricks are about 300 cm2 and there is one front and back. rkrobj could I duct to the air brick and try and bodge the ducting against the brick?

Boilerman2 isn't a gas hob technically a flueless gas appliance?

Thanks for all the responses.

Hope that helps,

not in every case, lets not confuse the OP with wrong info, there are situations where a vent needs to be ducted but there is nothing in his post to give us enough info to tell him that it does or doesnt need ducted

Kirkgas what is the OP? Do you think I can get away with venting through the floor and not ducting or are you suggesting it needs to go through the wall.

Cheers.

Hope that helps,

Kirkgas what is the OP? Do you think I can get away with venting through the floor and not ducting or are you suggesting it needs to go through the wall.

Cheers.

OP is Original Poster, im not a lover of the phrase "get away with" it is either acceptable or not, under most circumstances it is acceptable to vent to a sub floor, but either sub floor or through wall the air will be the same temp, the fire requires fresh combustion air to allow the fire to burn properly so if its cold outside the air will be cold, you can fit a wall vent with a baffle in it to reduce draught but not air flow, but i would much rather suggest you get a gas safe engineer to check and confirm it is safe to do so in your house , and also that the installation is safe to leave on, because if it was fitted without a vent and not properly made safe at the time im not too impressed with the guy who fitted it

Just for clarification the guy who fitted it was meant to come back and certify it after I installed the vent. His opinion was vent through the sub floor but he had never fitted a flueless gas fire and the vent location was not described in the manufacturers installation, so he was unsure hence the post. This was over a year ago and he has since immigrated to Australia otherwise I would have called him.

Thanks all for your input. A gas safe engineer is coming out next week to check a vent to the sub floor is sufficient.

It is hoped that draughts from a floor vent will not be as bad as a vent direct to outside through the wall. Also it can be patched up with a bit of spare flooring and a floor board if the fire is changed in the future. Not so easy with a hole through brick work.

Finally, you can rest assured I won't in the future be talked into installing a flueless gas fire. Give me a wood burner any day of the week.

Thanks again.

Just for clarification the guy who fitted it was meant to come back and certify it after I installed the vent. His opinion was vent through the sub floor but he had never fitted a flueless gas fire and the vent location was not described in the manufacturers installation, so he was unsure hence the post. This was over a year ago and he has since immigrated to Australia otherwise I would have called him.

Thanks all for your input. A gas safe engineer is coming out next week to check a vent to the sub floor is sufficient.

It is hoped that draughts from a floor vent will not be as bad as a vent direct to outside through the wall. Also it can be patched up with a bit of spare flooring and a floor board if the fire is changed in the future. Not so easy with a hole through brick work.

Finally, you can rest assured I won't in the future be talked into installing a flueless gas fire. Give me a wood burner any day of the week.

Thanks again.

i would think it easier to blank a wall vent rather than a floor vent, take the cover off and fill the hole and put the vent cover back on till you want to redecorate

The most common through the wall type vent is known as the black hole, these can be fitted with a draught excluder kit but reduce the free area to 70cm2 so dont be tempted to install this kit as its not suitable for your fire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back