flueless gas fires

Could anyone explain to me- just how the catolitic converter works ?
I have just removed my troublesome flueless fire and decided to take a look at it .
I noticed the 'cat' was positioned in the middle of the outlet vent and only covered 50% of that area . So- seems like another 50% of warm air has by-passed the cat.
Also- the cat to me looked like a ceramic rectangular structure with just holes in the middle .
I'd love to find out just how it works .
Does anyone know ?
regards, Pete

He he he.....I predict a riot..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I have just removed my troublesome flueless fire and decided to take a look at it .
I noticed the 'cat' was positioned in the middle of the outlet vent and only covered 50% of that area . So- seems like another 50% of warm air has by-passed the cat.
Also- the cat to me looked like a ceramic rectangular structure with just holes in the middle .
Does anyone know ?
regards, Pete

Perhaps I should have said- 'It' (Focalpoint fire) is going into the skip and being replaced with a new one (Burley) - which will be fitted by a gas safe engineer who knows how to fit it and test it properly .
That's when I find such a person locally of course .
No rush though- new fire is 1 week to 10 days away from being delivered.

Does anyone know ?
regards, Pete

What riot ??? :eek:

Sponsored Links
peterperfection";p="2331464 said:

Catalytic converters

All Burley flueless gas fires incorporate a catalytic converter. This is a honeycomb which is coated with rare metals. Oxygen ‘sticks’ to the coating. If a carbon monoxide molecule meets it, the oxygen converts the carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide (which is harmless and is present in fresh air). Burley has NEVER had a catalytic converter fail or need replacing. All Burley appliances are CE marked by international test houses. One of the tests that the fires must pass is to have the catalytic converter removed. In this condition it must still pass all the strict combustion tests.

Why dont we hear the facts again from the Burley MD ?.

All the doubters- ask a question (sensible questions only)--and maybe 'Mr Flueless facts' will resond ?.

Perhaps you have bored him to death with your drivel.....Oh yes, there is another of your ailiases....Dr Drivel

Don't know what it is, customer said he'd probably stick it on the bay of thieves.... I really don't care what he does with it, I cut it off... He might even reconnect it... I have the paperwork to prove it was cut and capped so if he chokes himself that is his pigeon.

And you are still overpaid...

Don't know what it is, customer said he'd probably stick it on the bay of thieves.... I really don't care what he does with it, I cut it off... He might even reconnect it... I have the paperwork to prove it was cut and capped so if he chokes himself that is his pigeon.

And you are still overpaid...
ok- please post a copy of the paperwork and then maybe I and others will believe you . C'mon groucho- you must know how to scan a document .

Tell you what..... if you post your telephone number and full name and address I'll ask him to phone you..

Why on earth would I make public the personal details of one of my customers just to satisfy you.... Everyone else seems to be bored of this topic but I'm busy typing quotes and you give some light entertainment from a chore that I hate doing.... Unfortunately it is a chore for me that is mandatory.

Just for fun, where do I call a newly and correctly installed Flueless dangerous?

Just a note for the OP and anyone else contemplating one of these fires.

They are burning using the oxygen in your room. They are giving off carbon dioxide and water vapour [both of which are perfectly natural, but both of which will kill in excess quantities!] and traces of other much less desirable gases [some of which can kill in minute concentrations]. Because of this, you MUST HAVE a permanent vent to outside air.

There are no circumstances in which I would have one of these in my own house.

Hiya skirting board scorchers,
Just wondering if any of you lot have seen the light yet ?.
OR- are any of you brave enough to stand up- be counted and say they have in-fact, fitted a flueless fire yet ?.

C'mon lads- dont be shy- chuck your paraffin lamps in the bin- bin the lead pipes and throw away the putty and butyl- and take a step forward into the real world. Even smarten yourselves up in a nice new 'snickers' suit- (or whatever it's called).
Maybe trade in your ford granadas and Zephyre 4s too ?.

A whole new world is waiting for you .

ps- anyone know a plumber (sorry- a high tech heating enginer ,technician) who wants to try out his skills fitting a flueless gas fire anytime soon in Preston , Lancs ?.

Anyone brave enough ??.

ps- no man who wears a check skirt need apply .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back