Fluidmaster PRO71UK valve + Fordham Sprite cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Fuidmaster PRO71UK flapper valve to go in my plastic Fordham Sprite cistern without carefully checking the installation instructions:
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/95/

Part of the attraction is being able to re-use my flush lever, but Fordham (30 years ago ?) made the spindle in an unusual manner. It goes right to the back of the cistern and has a small vertical disc on the end which fits in a slot and so holds the spindle horizontal, at least that's what it look like (I haven't pulled anything apart).

So I don't have what Diagram 2 (aka step 13) in the instructions call threaded shank or hex-nut, so I can't easily clamp the bracket to the front of the cistern.

Any recommendations such as:
a) Glue, if so which
b) stainless self-tapping screw, above the overflow line

Thanks in advance for any replies (even those which point out that it says on the box "for professional installation only") and apologies for (I'm pretty certain) not inserting the url properly.

Cheers, Graham[/url]

Sponsored Links
I've got round to doing this, so in case it's of any help to anyone else:
After emptying the cistern and removing the C link, I had to saw off the flush arm as the nut and bolt which clamp it onto the spindle were rusted solid. Then, the remaining part of the clamp needed tapping with a hammer to force it off the spindle.

That showed up the next problem which was that the spindle is not square along its whole length, there's a small "lug" hiding under the (now removed) flush arm which makes that part, roughly half way between front and back, oblong. So the suitable mounting bush, which goes on from the rear, could only slide along the spindle until it hit this "lug".

I used all 3 spacers to get the bracket as far from the front as possible (in principle I could have used the rubber washers as well but that would have needed screws which were longer than the 1.25 inch ones that I'd bought) and then by having the lever slightly over the "lug" (but mainly over the mounting bush), the spring (on the chain lever) engaged sufficiently with the bracket.

I used three stainless self tapping screws to clamp the 3 spacers + bracket to the cistern, one on each side of the spindle and one above it. Incidentally I bought more self tappers than I needed so if anyone in the London area finds themselves with the same problem I might be able to help out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back