Flushing open vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed a couple of radiators and found a lot of the water inside was black, even after taking the rad outside and giving it a lot of flushing with a garden hose. Based on that I've just added a litre of X400 to my central heating system, by draining a radiator and filling through the radiator. I'm going to leave it in the system for a couple of weeks.

What is the best method for flushing out the system? I have one drain cock in the kitchen and one on the lockshield valve for the radiator in the living room, I'd rather use the living room one since it sits about a foot lower than the drain cock in the kitchen. My plan was to close off every rad except one, open the drain valve and keep it going until the water runs clear and then some, then close off to that rad and onto the next one. For the two rads I removed I would just fit a hose onto the each valve one at a time and open the valve to let the water run through. I know that as the water is drained that the F&E tank will fill as the level in the system drops, but will it be able to keep up with the draining process or will I need to do it in steps? Will that pressure be sufficient to flush the system?

I eventually plan on replacing all rads. The two I've removed are being replaced but I'd rather flush the system before fitting my brand new rads.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back