Flushing system when new boiler installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a house that has been recently renovated. A new Alpha combi boiler has been installed but the old radiators have not been replaced. We have asked to see the commissioning statement for the boiler installation and have been told the plumber is now going back to the house to complete the documentation (shouldn't he have done it at the time?). We have also been informed that the system was not flushed out when the boiler was installed. Is it reasonable to argue that the system should have been flushed out at the time and ask for it to be done as a condition of the sale, or get a quote an negotiate on the price (if so, any ideas on the cost? - would it be cheaper to get new radiators?). The vendor is arguing that the plumber seemed to think the flushing out was not essential, so we should pay to get it done if we think it is "really necessary". I understand it could affect the manufacturer's guarantee.

Sponsored Links
ok flushing out is essential and refilling with inhibitor

how its flushed out is the issue

personally I dont own any fandangled power flush machines i still do it the normal way.

power flushing costs hundreds

normal way costs the price of chemicals plus time £100.00 ish

you wont really be able to dispute the way its flushed as long as its done properly

Anne

Simple question ALL boiler manufacturers include in their installation instructions a requirement for the system - even if new - to be flushed to British Standard 7593.

If this process is not compleated, and you have a future problem with the system involving a visit by the manufacturers, they will take a water sample from the system.

If the resultant boiler fault is due to the system not having been flushed (and their tests will reveal this) they will in all probability refuse to repair the boiler under warranty.

Their stance is understandable sludge in an old system, or flux residues in a new one, can, and almost certainly will, damage the heat exchanger in the new boiler either by corrosion or blocking it with sludge.

This can hardly be described as a manufacturing defect. It is installer error - it has NOT been installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions.

Power flush or just hot/cold flush using chemicals good question.

I own powerflushing machine and I can assure you that if you just put the chemicals into system which is then run and flushed out and I then bring the machine and flush it again you would be extreemly surprised at the amount of muck I would get out.

I can force water through and reverse direction it travels instantly. This action loosens a great deal of muck left behind after just using the existing central heating pump working in one direction.

Alan

To add to what Allan has said- boiler would have been issued with a Benchmark logbook. There is a section that requires the installer to indicate what chemicals were used to clean the system and then inhibit. If you do not have above mentioned logbook or it is incomplete, then rest assured the work has not been carried out to Benchmark standards.

When chemicals are added to the system, system debris is dislolved. To simply dump the water from the installation is not sufficient. One will then have to carry out multiple fills and flushes to get rid of ALL the residues as indicated in the instructions. Water that flows from the system (via drain point) should not froth and be reasonably clear. It is not a half hour task.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies, very detailed and useful.

I have one further query - should TRVs have been fitted to the radiators to comply with building regulations, or does this not apply if only the boiler has been replaced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back