Flushing system (without power flush)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When adding a system cleaner (Sentinel X400) the instructions say to leave in, then drain which I understand but they also say to flush the system. I am not using a powerflush machine so could someone explain what this means. I took it to mean leaving the drain valve open with the cold feed to the F/E tank on so that water runs through the sytem - is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Drain it, fill it, drain it and so on until you've got all of the cleaner out.

After I've drained and re filled a couple of times, I often get the system hot again and then drain again just to circulate the system.

Clean your F and E tank

what you are doing is nothing like a powerflush ,when powerflushing the tank is sealed off and the pump removed and the machine fitted in line forcing the water and cleaner through each radiator at a time alernating the direction of flow

Sponsored Links
In what way?

If the boiler has an overheat stat and the manufacture allows that configuration, then no, not a problem.

Bung the cold feed so that rubbish doesn't go into your system whilst cleaning the F and E, or remove the tank, clean it and re instate

Obviously while the system is drained

I took him to mean clean when he stated flush.

Obviously a powerflush is a lot more involved and requires equipment and knowledge.

What you are talking about doing is a chemical cleanse

what you are doing is nothing like a powerflush ,when powerflushing the tank is sealed off and the pump removed and the machine fitted in line forcing the water and cleaner through each radiator at a time alernating the direction of flow

Yeah know its not a powerflush but the terminology on the cleaner says to flush the system instead of just drain. I understand now that flush in this case means to drain/refill a few times and heat up and drain as has been said.

I was worried about issues with combined feed vent (which is recommended by my boiler manufacturer) because I have never seen this before (previous house had separate feed and vents) and I wanted to ensure the cleaner enters the system properly.

Thanks, I just thought because having monitored the tank with the heating and hw on for a while the tank never seem to get hot or even warm so thought there was not much 'movement' through tank to let the cleaner enter the system. In my old house the fe tank used to be a little warm when hw/ch were on.

You drain the system, put chemicals in and then refill ?

Or an express can/ rapid dose straight into a rad/ towel rail

You drain the system, put chemicals in and then refill ?

Or an express can/ rapid dose straight into a rad/ towel rail

Great, any hints/issues with refilling a 10mm microbore system as opposed to a normal system which I have done before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back