Footing under opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Planning my single storey extension and sorry if a silly question but if I'm doing trench fill footings but got a 3m wide French door opening, is there any option of doing a shallower footing under the opening if the door weight is taken on the sides so it's only supporting brickwork up to dpc? Only ask as it would save me a lot of digging and concrete!
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Don't think it would be very clever in that situation- you could end up with differential movement between the doorway and the main foundations causing your doors to either jam or stop sealing. If you're doing a decent sized extension it won't save you that much trench & concrete (unless you're having to go down 2 metres or something silly)

Sponsored Links
Boring innit- for a garage door you'd be fine, just run the floor slab through the opening, couple of mill is neither here nor there. But 3m French windows won't be quite as tolerant of a bit of floor movement.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back