For the Brissle - boys !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a beautiful drone capture of the essence of Bristol Docks - I knew it back in the 60's before the amazing transformation - That river could really smell at times - Hats off to progress.

A little more overhead Brissel :-

-0-

Sponsored Links
Amazing little things aren't they. The cameras are so sharp.

I'm not from Bristol but spent most of my childhood near Millwall docks in East London which has also had an amazing transformation what with Canary Wharf and the like. Although the area has obviously been transformed, I sometimes feel a bit sad that my childhood haunts have disappeared: Cooking potatoes on old bomb sites, fishing and swimming in the docks and demolishing old prefab houses etc etc.

Having moved away from the area, one thing I really miss is the sound of the ship's horns seeing in the new year at midnight. All the ships in the dock would sound their horns for two minutes plus the tug boats with their 'whoop! 'Whoop! - a haunting sound.

Was that done in Bristol docks years ago?

Amazing little things aren't they. The cameras are so sharp.
Yes. It occurs to me that the police could make use of them if their helicopters are not available. Much cheaper to run as well, of course.

Amazing little things aren't they. , one thing I really miss is the sound of the ship's horns seeing in the new year at midnight. All the ships in the dock would sound their horns for two minutes plus the tug boats with their 'whoop! 'Whoop! - a haunting sound.

Yes, it definitely was. We're miles from the now gentrified docks in empip's post, as well as some distance from Avonmouth and Royal Portbury docks. But I remember being allowed to stay up late on new year's eve and hearing the sound of the ships fog horns at midnight. Not sure when this died out - poss early 90s. And yes, it was definitely a haunting sound - especially to a child.

Sponsored Links
Amazing little things aren't they. , one thing I really miss is the sound of the ship's horns seeing in the new year at midnight. All the ships in the dock would sound their horns for two minutes plus the tug boats with their 'whoop! 'Whoop! - a haunting sound.

Yes, it definitely was. We're miles from the now gentrified docks in empip's post, as well as some distance from Avonmouth and Royal Portbury docks. But I remember being allowed to stay up late on new year's eve and hearing the sound of the ships fog horns at midnight. Not sure when this died out - poss early 90s. And yes, it was definitely a haunting sound - especially to a child.
It's a shame that it has died out. I have been looking to see if there is any footage/recordings online in order to hear that sound again but have not found anything so far. If only we had had mobiles with cameras during our childhood.

These drones look fantastic. I'd like to get one but I think I'd always be a bit worried of losing it somewhere inaccessible!
Astley Green Colliery Museum.

It's a shame that it has died out. I have been looking to see if there is any footage/recordings online in order to hear that sound again but have not found anything so far. If only we had had mobiles with cameras during our childhood.

It may well still go on, but to a lesser extent. But then again, my senses are possibly slightly dulled come midnight on new years eve. I didn't have that problem before I was forced to grow up.

These drones look fantastic. I'd like to get one but I think I'd always be a bit worried of losing it somewhere inaccessible!
Like under the next door neighbour's sunbed. :D

Time to take one look at the kit !
-0-

I was imagining that must be a pretty expensive bit of kit but it turns out you can have one, brand spanking, for just twelve hundred squids. I might put one on the Christmas list.

I was imagining that must be a pretty expensive bit of kit but it turns out you can have one, brand spanking, for just twelve hundred squids. I might put one on the Christmas list.
How much?
You can buy a car for that!

I already have a drone. They're very useful, but high maintenance.

After a while, the drone can turn to a continuous whine. Getting some relief from it at present - she's at her mother's. :ROFLMAO:

less than one thousand for a drone, pretty cheap.

(still too much for me, but I remember the day that a decent digital camera was over £600)

Sponsored Links
Back