Ford 1.8tdci engine sump removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its on a galaxy '06-onwards, the question is how to remove the sump with the engine still in situ? Not the oil pan, thats off!

Need to inspect conrods etc...[/b]

Sponsored Links
Please don't quote me, but I don't think you can remove the upper sump without taking the side cover (behind the timing gears) off first.....major surgery!
What's happened to your engine?
John :)

Thankyou, appreciate your response.

******ed!

Valve/piston damage.

Believe 'wet' belt sheared teeth causing timing out and well I'm sure you know the rest.

Good news I suppose is that the timing cover etc.. needs to be removed anyway.

What I had concerns with was if the gearbox had to be dropped.

Now that is a drag....timing chain snapped?
I've done a few repairs in the past, many new valves fitted but I've been spared piston replacement.
Have you got the cylinder head off yet?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, head removed, skimmed and new valves (x4) fitted/re-seated.

Not yet exposed the timing belt.

Its actually a belt (wet belt), not chain. CR*P!!!! I only know this because I found traces of rubber in the oil pan when it was removed, and looked like it came off a belt.
Some models have a chain, but not this one!

Ah right so your engine must be around 2009, I guess.....the wet belt being a timing belt running in oil.
I may be wrong but I think its an engine out job?

That is bad news then, not sure an engine out job is something I would tackle.

Hey don't quote me mate - there should be lots of info on line from much more knowledgeable folks than me.
Either way, it sounds like a long job so I hope it goes well.....seriously bad crack, that :(

Thanks John, unfortunately though there seems to be very little info available and those that do know are keeping it close to their chests.

Sponsored Links
Back