Ford Fiesta Throttle Sticking - Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could help with a strange problem. My sister has an R Reg Fiesta (1300 petrol).

If the car is stationary and you rev the throttle then the engine revs and dies back down again normally when you release the pedal.

However...

Whilst you are driving (IE: Not standing still) the throttle sticks on - It seems to be when you also press the clutch or brake.

Any ideas please? Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
check the condition of the cable and replace if fraid. if not then simple cleaning and lube should do it.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply - The cable condition seems fine and I have tried cleaning and lubing it - no joy. It is fine if the car is not moving, just when you are driving!

As a side note, my sister is a terrible driver and revs the backside of the car - Seriously, she will rev to about 5k just to set off in first! The fault occurs with her all the time. If I drive the car very gently then i can avoid it happening.

I think the car may not be returning to idle quickly enough - this is usually a throttle body issue but could be due to air leaks around the intake side.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think the car may not be returning to idle quickly enough - this is usually a throttle body issue but could be due to air leaks around the intake side.

Hi John, thanks for the reply - That's what I initially thought (the air leaks) but I would have thought that, if that were the case, I would be able to replicate the problem by revving the car when it was stationary?

Have a look at the BBA reman website, and click on 'throttle bodies'.
Only guesswork on my part of course but on older cars they are often giving problems, usually in the form of poor idling or stalling. Too fast idle is another symptom.
There is also an idle control valve (ICV) in the system that can become sluggish and usually a good clean helps.
Unfortunately a revving up test whilst stationary isn't a reliable test - what you need to do is to drive along, then throttle off and push the clutch in, and see what the rev counter says.

Back