Ford Focus 1.6 petrol 2005.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought this motor, my first Ford in 30 years!! Seemed OK on test drive, 90,000 on the clock, but private sale, so no guarantee with it. On the ventilation fan, the lowest 2 speeds do not work, and even on the highest setting there does not seem to be much 'draught' from the air-vents. Also, the Aircon switches on whenever the ignition is turned on, irrespective of it being previously switched off. Any comment or advice would be much appreciated, thank you all.

Sponsored Links
I can't help with the A/C being on permanently - unless it's a stuck relay - but I'd replace the pollen filter for starters to improve the air flow.
The speed resistor has called it a day if the fan only works on the high setting.
If you have climate control I'd better think again though.
John :)

Burnerman, thankyou for reply. No climate control, and I wondered about stuck relay, but I can switch it off, then it comes on with ignition, providing the blower fan is not set to 'off'. Most odd. I had not thought about the pollen filter, yes shall sort that soon, plus a new heater resistor or whatever is needed. Never had such hassle with all my Vauxhalls!

Sponsored Links
AlanE, thankyou for reply and the link. I think, once the glovebox is out, that also gives access to replace the pollen filter at the same time.
I shall look on youtube, bound to be something.

The air con switches on automatically when the air is directed to the windscreen.

My first guess is the resistor bank but it could also be an issue with the fan sticking or the switch itself.
As alan333 says, when the selector switch is pointing at the windscreen the air con switches on. I don't know why ford does this - it is annoying!

alan333 and Spark123, thanks for your input, all useful.
I do hope it is not the heater matrix that is blocked... :(...sometimes happens on older cars.

Now sorted, new fan resistor and pollen filter fitted this morning, back to normal.
Happy New Year all !! :D

Nice one, Mr. Z!
At least the Focus, for once, has an accessible resistor once the glove box is out.....a visit to the chiropractor is recommended after the pollen filter access though :p
John :)

When a heater matrix blocks you usually only get cold air, bbbrrrrrrr :(
Glad you got it fixed. Did turning the selector switch off windscreen cure the air con coming on?

Yes, it seems that 'Windscreen' position means the AC is on, a Ford habit it seems!

Getting the new pollen filter in really needs two pairs of hands! I had to undue the fasteners for the fuse-box frame, hinge it down, and then pull it forward of its mounting bracket. Then, had to unbolt the bracket itself! I can imagine, Ford fitters get a 'knack' for this though! I also doubt the newer models are any better...these things are sent to try us !!

Sponsored Links
Back