ford focus central locking fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a year 2000 ford focus, the speedometer doesn't work along with the mileage counter, but all other dash needles and lights are working fine?
Also the central locking seems to be abit tempermental, 8 times outa 10 it will lock all doors then automatically unlock all doors immediately? same thing happens if manually locked by key in drivers door. only way to lock all doors is to use key in passenger door lock.
I make sure after locking, that all doors are secure before going inside my house, but recently, i have been going to unlock doors with key fob in the mornings (unlocking never seems to be a problem) and the doors are already unlocked???
is the locking system failing through the night and controling its self??? This is starting to get very frustrating and i can never be sure if my car is secure.
If someone is able to help with my problem i would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Not sure on the speedo/milage thing - have you tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins to see if it will reset, assuming of course they are all digital and not the old wire driven type? If it is digital i.e. a LCD readout then likelihood is you need a replacement display.

A pretty common failure with central locking is the wiring loom wires can break where they plug into the bulkhead from the door, worth a look.

I have a 2004 focus c-max that developed problems with central locking,intermittently unlocking only the drivers door and boot.A mechanic checked it and replaced the battery in the fob and reprogrammed the system,hey ho problem resolved,well temporarily. :(
The problem re-occured and this time the battery in the fob was replaced the fuse replaced and some central locking control box checked,still the problem persisted. :(
The local Ford dealers wanted to charge £100 just for looking for an hour!!!
CHECK what programme the central locking was re-programmed too,as the c-max(dont know about other ford models) has 2 settings,which I didnt know,and dont think a lot of ford owners(and some mechanics) are aware of,but it is in the hand book!!
1 click used to deactivate everything, open all the doors and boot! but now only opens the boot and drivers door.
2 clicks in quick succession will deactivate everything,open all doors and the boot!
Thanks to the neighbour next door to my parents, who drives a different car completely,this problem has and is now resolved as a result of 2 clicks on the fob in quick succession!!(programme 2)

Sponsored Links
I have a 2004 focus c-max that developed problems with central locking,intermittently unlocking only the drivers door and boot.A mechanic checked it and replaced the battery in the fob and reprogrammed the system,hey ho problem resolved,well temporarily. :(
The problem re-occured and this time the battery in the fob was replaced the fuse replaced and some central locking control box checked,still the problem persisted. :(
The local Ford dealers wanted to charge £100 just for looking for an hour!!!
CHECK what programme the central locking was re-programmed too,as the c-max(dont know about other ford models) has 2 settings,which I didnt know,and dont think a lot of ford owners(and some mechanics) are aware of,but it is in the hand book!!
1 click used to deactivate everything, open all the doors and boot! but now only opens the boot and drivers door.
2 clicks in quick succession will deactivate everything,open all doors and the boot!
Thanks to the neighbour next door to my parents, who drives a different car completely,this problem has and is now resolved as a result of 2 clicks on the fob in quick succession!!(programme 2)

Back