Ford focus keys worn out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I have a Ford Focus 2002 the blue chipped manual keys have worn out, they no longer open the doors at all, they just about work in the ignition with a prayer and a lot of shouting. To unlock the doors I have open the hatchback and use a big stick to push the central locking open. The best price for new keys are with the aa £120 for 1 key or £180 for 2, they are coming Wednesday. I have read that some fords you can get a key cut at timpsons don't have it coded and just stick the old key under the dash board and the immobiliser will still pickup the old chip signal in the key, does anyone know if this is true or fantasy

Thanking you for any help or advice

Sponsored Links
is this the key with the angled notches in it?

A skilled lock person can decode the angles of the notches and cut a new key or keys to match (get a few, and ask for the codes to be written down for you) which will open the doors and boot, and turn the steering lock. I had several cut by my local locksmith, and have hidden one for emergency entry.

If you pry open the plastic grip, you may see how the metal key blade is inserted, and may with difficulty be able to fit the new blade into the old grip (which contains the transducer)

The little transducer in the old key is embedded in the plastic grip and can be cut out and inserted into a new key. Some of them are made with a removable plug over the hole for them. You can also get the car to learn a new transducer. Depending on your car this may need a garage's computer plugged in, or some cars can do it themselves with the right instructions and two valid original keys. I believe some people can copy the old transducer onto a new one, you may find adverts in car mags.

it is a fantastically good idea to look out for the key reference number card when you buy a car, take a copy, and keep it in a safe place.

Indeed, the immobiliser will be overridden in this way, as the transponder is in the key body.
I wouldn't tell your insurers though!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Probably true. I once owned a Mercedes Sprinter van with the old key taped under the dash for a few days for exactly the same reason. BTW you might need the key number to get the new keys cut. Ford cut me a non chipped key for a Jaguar X-Type (remember it's just a Mondeo in a fancy dress) for about a tenner (I had the key number).

Back