ford focus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2002 diesel has started to show oil in the water bottle, for the last few weeks, Today, it has backed up and actully started to force it's self through the water filler cap.
Any ideas?, doesn't sound like head gasket, as it runs fine, someone mentioned oil cooler broken down and is getting into the water jacket that way.Does it have an oil cooler? I can't see one.
There is no water in the oil, in fact, i don't know how it's still running, as nothing is showing on the dipstick.
Tampered with cars most of my life, and never seen this before.help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It could be head gasket but failure between an oil gallery and the water jacket, and not the cylinder, I can't say i've come accross this on those engines though, it was a problem on some Rover motors, but not sure on a ford lump.
The oil cooler as mentioned is a heat exchanger(between coolant and oil) rather than a typical oil cooler(like a mini radiator). If yours has got one(possiably) it could well be the problem. The oil will get into the coolant rather than the other way round as the oil is at a much higher pressure than the coolant.

thanks for your reply tinker,i'm going for the oil cooler, it's off, but having trouble retrieving it from the engine bay.
Looks like the engine mounting has to come off :rolleyes: will finish it tomorrow, just hoping it's the problem, unbelievably, my brother has just bought a focus with the exact same problem.

Sponsored Links
Well it's on, bar a few leaks, will get a new gasket when the dealer reopens tomorrow.
No hot air from the heater,so maybe the valve/pipes are chocca.

Is there a cleaner you can use on the water system to emulsify the oil?

Was thinkink of 1/4 gall of parrafin :eek:

Got it wrong about the engine mounting having to come off,if i had took the filter off first, then it would of come out quite easily :oops:
Anyway, not too much trouble to repair for a d.i.y., little bit awkward to get at,but i found a thread from about 2-3 yrs ago on here that said the dealer charged £600, so, it's a simple diy.

Just got to clean the water system now,with my reckoning, oil floats, so eventually,if i keep draining my top up bottle, from the top,then i will have all the oil?

You have just proved you are capable of work but choose to sponge off the state instead libby; you truly are a disgrace.

Well it's on, bar a few leaks, will get a new gasket when the dealer reopens tomorrow.
No hot air from the heater,so maybe the valve/pipes are chocca.

Is there a cleaner you can use on the water system to emulsify the oil?

Was thinkink of 1/4 gall of parrafin :eek:

Got it wrong about the engine mounting having to come off,if i had took the filter off first, then it would of come out quite easily :oops:
Anyway, not too much trouble to repair for a d.i.y., little bit awkward to get at,but i found a thread from about 2-3 yrs ago on here that said the dealer charged £600, so, it's a simple diy.

Just got to clean the water system now,with my reckoning, oil floats, so eventually,if i keep draining my top up bottle, from the top,then i will have all the oil?

It wouldn't be the first time I've used washing powder (biological) to get round this - seriously.
Takes a couple of applications, running the engine, and then a really good flush. There's not too many suds produced, either.
John :)

Richard, if you do this job, makes sure you replace the gasket, or it won't stop leaking £2.87 for the gasket,£20 for the cooler from the breakers.

Dangermouse, who said i can't/wont work? just haven't had the oppertunnity(sp) to do so, even for a **** ty wage.

THE BEST WAY TO FLUSH THE OIL OUT OF YOUR COOLING SYSTEM IS BELEIVE IT OR NOT WASHING POWDER !! REMOVES THE OIL BRILLIANTLY DONE IT MANY TIMES 20 YRS FORD TECH !!

HOPE THIS HELPS ! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back