Ford Sierra Heater Matrix Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

The heater matrix in my `93 Sierra failed a couple years ago but I haven't bothered replacing until now because local garages charge too much. Had a look myself today to see if I can handle replacing it myself.

I've got the Haynes manual for the car and I wouldn't say it's the "How to fix your car for dummies" book I could have done with. I removed the lower left facia of the dash and can see the heater unit but this is where things get a little bit scary because I haven't really got the best idea of what I'm doing.

The manual tells me to disconnect the 5 vent hoses, which I can see, and to disconnect the two control cables. I can see where one control cable connect but the other one runs over the top of the heater unit and I can't see where to (one of the vent hoses in the way) and then to remove the two mounting bolts which I can't see (maybe because I haven't disconnected the vent hoses yet (some cable ties I need to clip to move some of the electric cables)). Is that all there is to it or is there something else I should know? Or is possible to remove the matrix without removing the entire heater unit? The Haynes manual only has instructions to remove the heater unit to overhaul it.

I did ask on another forum a couple of years ago how to replace the matrix before I had a copy of the Haynes manual and there were some people that seemed to think I could easily get at it through the driver's footwell (without removing any part of the dash if I remember right?) but I couldn't see how so I left it alone. Is it possible though to withdraw the heater matrix without removing the heater unit though? The manual I have doesn't have instructions just for removing the matrix but for removing the heater unit to overhaul it.

I hope the dash isn't gonna be a pain in the ass to put back on too because it was a little awquard coming out by the driver side facia and the center console :mad:

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Never done one of these (only a Landy) but pretty sure you'll need to remove the whole heater then dismantle it to get at the matrix.

When you do get the matrix out, don't just go and buy a new one. Take it to your local radiator reconditioner first, he may be able to rebuild it for less.

are you sure the matrix is gone,the system may just need a good flush out if its full of crud,does the coolant look fairly clean in the engine expansion tank?

Sponsored Links
Hi .I changed one of these on an old sierra I had without really knowing what I was doing but did manage it with the manual.You will need to strip out the dash and drain off the radiator.You have to disconnect two hoses that are connected to the matrix in the engine bay.(underneath the bonnet) Be careful when re-connecting these hoses that you dont over tighten them because with them being plastic they tend to collapse the plastic pipes on the matix.You should be able to get a second hand matrix for a tenner or so from a scrappie

Back