Forstner Vs. Holesaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of help please from all of you chippies/joiners out there.

I need to put a 40mm dia. hole through 20mm oak as cleanly as possible, I have a decent pillar drill.

Would you use a good quality holesaw, I have a DeWalt arbour, but not a 40mm holesaw - or would you use a Forstner bit, I don't have a 40mm one.

I am going to have to buy one or the other... which one??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hole saw will end up burning itself through oak.
forstener bit will probably be the better bet.

Thanks Greggers,

I did wonder if the relative coarseness of a holesaw's teeth would struggle with oak.

I think I will get Axminster so send me a 40mm Forstner.

Unless there is a third way I haven't thought of...

Sponsored Links
I had thought about the flat boring bit option, but thought that 40mm dia. would be too large??

I note that Bosch make a really robust looking flat bit, but only up to 38mm dia.

A hole saw would do ok really, so long as it's a welded band type such as a Starrett and you use your pillar drill.
Make sure the saw is tight in its arbor though, and drill from both sides.
Quite a bit cheaper than a Forstner I would imagine, although these do have the advantage of drilling a flat bottomed hole.
John :)

Don't expect the adjustable bits to last for ever, but certainly they have their uses......just use them gently!
I'd still go for a hole saw, personally.
John :)

I've got one of those heavy duty expansive bits, IIRC they were sold as a "power" bit, most of the lighter duty types are intended for use with a brace. Used it lots of times for drilling holes in oak with pillar drill. OK as long as you go easy, keep the speed below the recommended max, and use a light feed. Not that keen on holesaws for clean holes in oak myself. I always seem to end up with some burning. Probably me. Forster bits are OK.
I've also got one or two flat bits modified with a shorter point and "scribing points" to give a clean, more or less flat bottomed hole. They're smaller than 40mm. Obviously you can only use them with due care in a pillar drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back