Frame fixings not deep enough for wall hung basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is really the most irritating job,

I'm fixing a bathroom basin to the wall and have drilled 8mm diameter using a tile drill. The problem is the wall is a stone cob wall, and I'm 200mm deep with an extra long masonry drill that I've bought specially, and after drilling for a 140mm deep frame fixings (8 x 140) I've come across NOTHING solid, the brackets for the unit are loose as hell. Even at 200mm deep, still feels like I'm not coming up against stone at all

What do I do? I can't increase the diameter of the screw because tile drills only seem to go to 8mm in diameter and then become holesaw like in design which will make it next to impossible to get an accurate hole, 2 for each bracket.

**** my life seriously

Here is configuration of wall:

8mm tile
12.5mm MR plasterboard
20mm line plaster
stone????????????????????

Sponsored Links
I filled the bastard holes with expanding foam and then put in the plugs and left to set, lets see what happens when I screw

My last house was flint and it was virtually impossible to fix anything to the wall. No chance of attaching a big heavy 20's cistern and hand basin so I made stands out of staircase spindles. They looked very smart.

How about using some stainless steel studding? just cut it off so the correct amount sticks through the wall for the fixing area plus a washer and a nut. All you need to do(!!) is to fix the studding in to your hole, There is a two part pump in adhesive that might do it. Screwfix sell it, I have just thrown some of theirs away, but I can't find it in their online site. :evil:
Frank

Sponsored Links
Well the expanding foam was a complete failure. It gave a little more rigidity to the plugs, but once the basin was on I could see how one careless push on the basin would rip either the frame fixing out the wall, or the tile off the wall. At this stage I'm assuming the only thing holding the basin onto the wall is the tile itself !

My last house was flint and it was virtually impossible to fix anything to the wall. No chance of attaching a big heavy 20's cistern and hand basin so I made stands out of staircase spindles. They looked very smart.

Hi Peter would have loved to but I don't have the skills for this.

I suppose buying them in a shop or some variation of it and cutting it to size would work. I'll give this option a real think. What's annoying is that in the manual they say the larger versions of basin comes with feet. Ran my hand along the underside but didn't find any predrilled holes, otherwise I could phone the manufacturers and get some feet

How about using some stainless steel studding? just cut it off so the correct amount sticks through the wall for the fixing area plus a washer and a nut. All you need to do(!!) is to fix the studding in to your hole, There is a two part pump in adhesive that might do it. Screwfix sell it, I have just thrown some of theirs away, but I can't find it in their online site. :evil:
Frank

This is what I realised when I was in toolstation shopping for solvent weld pipe for another job. Came across the threaded rod and the chemical fix and remembered having worked with this stuff before. They sell 8M so bought a meter but too late in the day to drill and upset the neighbours.

What do you think of this stuff?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Resin+Bolt+&+Stud+Fix/p11337

The thing is though if I attempt to use it what will the resin actually bond to if at the moment nothing actually in the wall is capable of holding weight? I'm assuming I would need to drill deep enough until I finally hit stone and then apply this stuff? I don't think even the 300mm nozzle would be long enough to get the resin deep enough to where it needs to be as the hole is only 8mm in diameter and can't be widened because of the tile, although I suppose it could a little because it won't be seen.

What an absolute rigmarole

Let's see, second attempt tomorrow

you can get carbide rotary bits for high speed tools, like routers or laminate trimmers (3mm shaft) that work very well opening out holes in ceramic tiles if you have a steady hand. mark out the hole first though!
Frank

Just to say I dealt with this by drilling deep enough into the wall as I could, I then attached threaded bar to the drill and drilled it in deep until I snagged into something -

The floor's yet to be fitted, but when it does I'm likely going to make spindles and attach them to the underside for piece of mind

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back