Free new boiler or stick with reliable 1980's one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,it seems that everyone wants to give me a free boiler which seems great,but I'm concerned about whether it would be a wise decision.

My old conventional boiler (vented system,hot water tank,cold water tank,header tank in loft) was installed in the 1980's,it's not been serviced since I bought the house about 20 years ago,it's never broken down or needed any expert attention.

If I had a 'free' (conventional) boiler installed would it be of decent quality,or would it just become a hunk of useless scrap metal as soon as the warranty's expired?

I shouldn't need to ask really,but it's likely that if the new boiler were to be unreliable I'd not be able to afford to repair or replace it.

But then I've no idea how much life is left in my old boiler...

Would they let me keep my trusty old boiler as a spare or must it be taken away?

So should I get a new free boiler or not?

Sponsored Links
Of course, not servicing a boiler for twenty years makes sense. If you treated your new boiler like that, it will turn into the pile of scrap metal you mention.

Of course, not servicing a boiler for twenty years makes sense. If you treated your new boiler like that, it will turn into the pile of scrap metal you mention.

I work on the principle that if something's working ok then I'll leave it alone,if it's broken then I'll repair it.
I get that a gas engineer might think this behaviour reckless.

Why would a new boiler not withstand the same treatment?
Are new boilers not as well made as old boilers,are they more complex?
Would I be best to keep my old boiler?

Sponsored Links
Just out if interest. what is the make and model of this twenty year old unserviced boiler please?

I'm guessing that a few of us on here maybe familiar with it and give you an honest opinion about it.

I also had a twenty year old back boiler, never serviced, never failed. Got a combi now and something goes wrong every year. Things like the circuit board which is not exactly serviceable.

Fact no1: you will most likely have a ****box fitted

Fact no2: you will most likely neglect this ****box and not get it serviced yearly

Fact no3: based on the above assumptions this ****box will cost you a fortune to repair in the future.

So do yourself and the tax payer a favour and stick with your old boiler.

You wanted honest opinions, that is mine.

Serious question:

What part of the service extends the life of the boiler? I have been looking at various company services and few mention cleaning anything. I can appreciate that checking for gas and water leaks is very important and that the boiler is running efficiently but is that going to make the boiler last longer.

I'm honestly not trying to make anyone's p*ss boil, its just something I have always wondered. Please educate me.

I am a plumber but do not touch boilers or gas.

:)

Flues degenerate and need regular checks.

Combustion settings drift and need adjustment.

Condensate system needs regular cleaning.

Flame detection components need checking, adjusting and cleaning.

Smooth operation of moving parts need checking.

Off the top of my head and referring to boilers in general.

You don't buy a car and expect it to run without servicing and MOT

This free boiler stuff really hacks me off. Especially when the recipient doesn't fecking need one. Free or otherwise.

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO most guys in the trade never service their own boilers as is so often said in the CC

Heat exchangers need cleaning, especially aluminium ones (Isar being prime example)

Expansion vessel need checking/repressurising (properly)

Electrodes need checking/cleaning

As well as what Dan said.

Of course like a car it won't stop mechanical/electrical component failure which is inevitable with all appliances but it will prevent expensive call outs and repairs for things that are reasonably easy to avoid in the first place.

I can't abide this "stick in the probe" culture so readily adopted by many.

My boiler is a Glow Worm Space Saver MKII and was installed by the council.

I don't want a combi boiler because I know that they're unreliable,but I was hoping that a modern conventional boiler would be a better bet.

It would also mean that I'd still have an electric immersion heater if the boiler breaks down.

Didn't mean to make anyone's **** boil,was just hoping for some advice.

Free boilers are paid for by higher fuel bills and our tax.

Ask your neighbours if they're happy to pay an extra £200 quid a year so you can have a free boiler.

Robin bleeding hood all over again only this time they are robbing the working class for the fat cats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back